Does Anyone Find it Hard to Cope and Stay Motivated?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

61 posts
tb063128

by tb063128 on Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: An emotive post - what goes on in your head?

i spent years and money trying to cover up my eczema scars which are behind my knees and from my wrists to inner elbows and most important, the scars on my face. BUT, its not worth it. It was a waste of time and the only one who was making me unhappy was not the eczema or other people but MYSELF. I started to wear shorts and t shirts and I still put on alot of makeup but inside, i feel alot better and people notice that. I started to forget that I had eczema until someone brings it up, but even that's ok, because hey- at least i have 2 arms and 2 legs, scars or not - i am still a functioning person. Its important to keep in perspective that people are attracted to confident, happy people inside. You can be the prettiest person with flawless skin but still be a jerk...and deep down everyone knows that.

sabrina_Y_09

by sabrina_Y_09 on Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: Comments of strangers!!

I have learned people are very inconsiderate and ignorant when they see something they think is not "normal." I've had eczema pretty much my whole life. I got made fun of a lot in middle school and teased because of my skin condition. I believe at least one child of mine will probably suffer from eczema. It doesn't mean we are not normal. I was made to feel I was different than everyone else and had limits. Please let your child know they aren't different, their skin is just more delicate and sensitive!

sabrina_Y_09

by sabrina_Y_09 on Sun May 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I've had people make comments about me before but not as much now that I am older. My family and good friends all know about my condition and it doesn't bother them. They know it has been and always will be a part of me, and love me either way. There have been times where I didn't have any eczema and felt compleletely normal. Although I know that it wouldn't last forever and I'd eventually have a flare up again. It really is a difficult disease to deal with. People who have perfect health and have never dealt with something like this simply do not understand. Having had moderate to severe eczema my whole life really has made me a stronger and un-shallow individual. Someone once told me not to worry about things I can't control and that is probably the best advice anyone could have given me.

Helen

by Helen on Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 pm

hi there, i have had this condition since i was born i am now almost 24, i have had a v hard time with my skin, i feel self conious, i have no confidence, i hardly go whn it is up, i cant even bare my bf to look at me, or even look in mirror, when i am out i try to cover up even in summer, but i cant hide my face, my skin has become more wrinkled with this as my skin is very hard and thick, even tho people say it dont matter what people think and inside you know they not really looking at you, you cant help but think they are, it only takes one person to give u funny look you just want to run indoors and never come out, through this i have been very depressed and still recieved councilling, i cry, i write things down, it got to the point when my own mum said aww your face has come up, i blew my top, i swore at her, and said nasty things, i felt so bad after but at the time i ment it, it sort of takes over your life,

when you have thisn condition u need the people closest to you but they arr the people who u take it out on, i know how you feel, its all about confidence, u need to love you for you, thats what im trying to do, obviously it doesnt happen everyday but the more you try the easier it gets, if u need to talk to someone outside of friends and family i would suggest ask your gp to refferre you to a counciller, i find it easier to open up to soemone i dont no, and they dont judge you, they help you talk about feelings, what you want to do how to express ur emotions better to people, as now if i get angry i dont yell i calmly say please leave me be for a while i am not happy, or what you just said to me has upset me so now please dont do that again.

I hope this helps you a little, if not im sorry, i wish you all the best

xx

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue May 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Today I have been back to my daughters hair dressers to say thank you for noticing my sons skin and giving such a positive comment to his glowing healthy skin. She even asked if he was on new treatment as he looked so well. He is on new treatments for him and for the 1st time in his life has great skin on his face. It was fantastic that someone noticed and took the time to say something rather than just the negative comments people make. :D
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Vorserkeien

by Vorserkeien on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:25 am

anitasolanki1512 wrote:hi
i completely understand how you feel.i am a female and yes looks can affect us big time. we learn to deal with these emotions trying to say no i wont let any ones comments affect me, but we have our weak moments and get down about any little comment made.
I think you've described my reactions pretty well there! Though I will say that my 'weak moments' vary in the length of time they last for, depending on how bad my eczema is at that moment in time & how hot it is, so I can't get away with completely covering myself up without boiling!

My reaction in social situations varies. Most of my eczema is on my neck, arms & legs - most of which can, therefore, be covered up. With my immediate family (I'm 22, a student & living at home (still ;)!)) I don't usually worry about hiding it; with my close university friends I usually ignore it again & don't try to hide it - they've seen me during good & bad days. With acquaintances, or friends I'm less close to, I will frequently try to hide my eczema - wearing full length trousers & full-sleeve tops if I can get away with it (slight problem in the summer!). But if I'm out on my own, or with one of the close friends mentioned above, I won't usually try to hide it at all - working on the assumption that the vast majority of the people who see me (if they even NOTICE my skin), won't see me again & most probably will never talk to me. Therefore, any opinions they have are their own. It's not always easy, but it keeps me from staying permanently indoors!
The downside of this thinking is why I then struggle with the people I don't know very well, but will probably see again! I'm afraid that because they don't know me that well, they might comment either then or sometime in the future. Now that I'm passed the school stage, unpleasant comments are highly rare, but when I'm trying my best to ignore it, it's very distracting when someone mentions it, even if they're being sympathetic. This will then often result in me trying to cover the worst eczema on my arms with my hands. Although, if I do see them enough, I eventually get enough confidence not to worry as much.

Sorry, I've been babbling slightly! I guess I do my best, even if I slip up every now & then I still usually manage to recover :)

nliedl

by nliedl on Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:01 am

those times when you feel completely alone with it

I've joined because i don't know a single person in my life who's ever had this condition as badly as me despite my homeopath saying i'm not alone. It would help a little if i saw someone on the tube with eczema as an adult because i'm sick of people saying 'i used to have it as a kid but not as bad as you.'

Does anyone have it around their eyes, neck, shoulders, arms, wrists, tummy, legs, ankles, back?

And despite keeping a food diary and a diary of 'triggers', i still havn't identified what causes my flare-ups other than emotional stuff and stress which i do my best to control yet i still scratch away.

Why hasn't there been any medical breakthrough over the causes of the itch yet?

ironchef

by ironchef on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: those times when you feel completely alone with it

You are NOT alone although it can feel that way. From time to time, I wonder, what my life would have been like if I didn't have this condition. I'd be more self-confident, more active, more strong....I'd have an easier life. Not feeling like I was less than other people. It IS hard...but take some comfort in that others DO know how you feel. The people who love us for who we are don't SEE the ugliness that we feel. Things can get better...

I've had it on my arms, wrist, legs, feet, hands, face. The skin on my hands is thin and papery...damaged after 30+ years of steroid creams. I still get looks and comments from other people.

Try getting tested for allergies and food intolerances. I've gotten better by avoiding dairy, sugar, and alcohol. Take fish and evening primrose oils...acidopholis. I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself from my other posts. Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to email me: ad_go@Hotmail.com

Hang in there.

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Welcome to our community. I do hope that you'll be able to make some friends and feel you're not alone because we all feel alone at times. That's part of the thing with eczema.
Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

itchyhippy

by itchyhippy on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

hiya
i know how you feel. i joined a while back because my skin was totally getting me down :(
i had a flare up due to stress early last year and havnt been able to get in under control since then. like you i have been unable to find out exactly what my triggers are - though i know that stress is a major one and annoyingly is impossible to control!
at the mo i have it all over my arms and legs, my back has cleared up but was also quite bad.
i know how you feel about being alone with it, because although the people close to me are understanding and sympathetic they still dont know how it feels. i also get so annoyed with people telling me they 'used to hae it as a kid' yeah - well i still do! grrrr.
so just thought i'd let you know that you are definately not alone and everyone on here can understand what you're going through.
hope this helps - feel free to drop me a msg if ur feelin low with it cos believe me i know what your going through.
hope you feel better soon
xxx

61 posts