New to this site but not severe eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
JimK

by JimK on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm

New to this site but not severe eczema

Hi all my name is Jim,

I have had atopic eczema all my life. I also have asthma and serious allergies. My eczema was severe as a young child and i was hospilised. Throughout my childhood my eczema was present and some times worse than others. During my 20s my eczema was not a problem and only began to return in my 30s. I am now 43 years old and my eczema is the worse it has ever been. It has gradually increased in severity over the past ten years, and in the past year had a massive impact on my life. I am now off work on long term sickness and seeing a consultant every two weeks. Prior to this i had numerous skin infections and felt on the brink of insanity, not being able to sleep, not wanting to go out etc.

I have been on ciclosporin since last summer and at first suffered with further infections until my condition began to stabalise a little. At a peak i was on around 300mg per day of ciclosporin and my skin was good, and my regular blood tests for kidney liver etc, but my blood pressure began to get too high so with advice from my consultant i began to take methatrexate as well. The plan being to gradually increase the methatrexate and decrease the ciclosporin (as my consultant advised that methatrexate can take up to 12 weeks to work and she wanted me to stay in control of my eczema to an extent during this period and not return to the severe state i was in when i first saw her)

i am now on £150mg per day of ciclosporin and 20mg once per week of methatrexate and folic acid every day apart from whe day i take the methatrexate. Unfortunatley as soon as i have tried to reduce the ciclosporen my even a small amount my skin has flared up. I do not like having to take all tese drugs but feel trapped

The eczema is still present and i have flare-ups and i feel i only just have a bit of control over it (although the last few days i have felt very itchy) i still have stubburn patches that wont go away, and i find it difficult to sleep feeling so itchy !

the consultant has said that we will continue to try the methatrexate for a further 8 weeks before we try another immunosuppresant as my blood pressure is still high taking the ciclosporin.

It all feels never-ending and i have no idea why it has been like this - so severe. I have a young daughter and her eczema is also severe. its upsetting to watch her scratching constantly and more than anything i hope her eczema gets better as she has really had a tough time.

Anyway ill leave it at that. hi to everyone on this site (sorry for poor spelling!) does anyone have any further suggestions that might help?

Regards Jim

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 am

Re: New to this site but not severe eczema

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your eczema and your daughter's, especially in the new year. I can only think of regular cleaning or bleach bath of your derm felt suited, and the priority is to ensure no infection particularly with all the severe rash and infection. Did the doctors give you any directions of daily management, before the return appointment?

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

JimK

by JimK on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Mei

Thank-you for your reply. I have been using balnium bath oil to wash with and use diprobase for moisturising my skin as and when needed. Do you have any suggestions on anything else i could use?

I have an appointment coming up in February with a dietician. As i have a lot of allergies i have wondered if i change to my diet would be of benefit.

Jim

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 am

Hi Jim,

I use oatmeal bath oil for my gal, regularly chlorhexidine her, uses QV cream when she's in school (as teachers can't moisturize so often, so used cream instead of lotion) and Physiogel AI cream at night, before bedtime. So far so good :) My gal is not allergic to anything, to easier to manage.

Take care, have a good weekend!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

artysue

by artysue on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 pm

hi jim im sue just saw your story and know how you feel. having got atopic eczema myself for the last 25 years .it affects my whole body .. had numerous flare ups and told i am not actually allergic !! to any food stuff .. i had light treatment 5 years ago which for myself was a ordeal ... but had flare ups didnt suit me ..tried me on protopic cream .. which had no effect .. had a massive flare up 2 years ago saw my dermatologist at his clinic and he addmited me in to hospital i was so poorly red from head to toe and sore ...creams creams creams !!!. after that put me on ciclosorin i was on it a year and half and it suited me and controled my eczema but he has know put me on methatextrate as it is a safer drug .. been on it 2 mths still not taking affect .. having regular blood tests .. didnt really want to go on these tablets but i had no choice one day it seems bit better then the next red again !! take atarax 25mg for the itching which at times is unbearable and use cetraban cream threw the day doublebase shower gel .. and betnovate for flare ups .. :( i have to very careful as if rub or scratch my arms they bruise very easily as my skin is very thin their ... take care

5 posts