Possible Ezcema flare up, not sure

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Dancesonfire

by Dancesonfire on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Possible Ezcema flare up, not sure

Hi,

I'm new to these fourms and I know this post is going to seem like a life story type post, and I applogize but I'm hoping to get some information. I was diagnosed with Eczema as a child, and had nasty flare ups all over my body. As I got older, the symptoms cleared up. Recently, I've been dealing with a possible flare up. I haven't been able to get to a doctor at this time, as my workplace does not offer health insurance anymore and I have to wait until next month before My new insurance is active. For the last month and a half, I've been getting red, raised hives on my body. I get them at all times of the day. In the past when I got hives, they were gone in a few hours, these seem to be lasting weeks, are very red, and warm to the touch. I have also noticed on some of them that they formed around hair on my arms. My friends are saying bug bites, but my aparment is bug free and none of my room mates have them. I was far to young to remember my break outs as a child. I've been watching and it seems that my arms start to itch very bad, the skin around the itchy area goes completly dark red, and a few hours later, a hive/welt will form. I've been reading around the internet for the last few days, some of the causes are quite scary, but one thing I read talked about Heat rash and sweating. I worked over night shifts for years, and have adapted to sleeping during the day. As such I normally sleep on my stomach with my arms between my stomach and my bed. When I wake up, My shirt and bed sheets are normally soaked in sweat. I think this may be a possible cause. but also in Texas, we have had some crazy weather. Going from 40 degrees one day to almost 80 the next. I don't know anyone else in Texas that has eczema that I can talk to and was wondering if anyone else in the area is breaking out do the weather changes outside. Am I reading to much into this or is this a sign that my eczema is getting worse in general.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 am

Re: Possible Ezcema flare up, not sure

Hi!

Are the hives itchy? Hives may not necessarily be eczema, so difficult to tell from your description.. keeping the room cool, or if it's allergy to house dust mites, you may want to switch to a thin mattress (sunned frequently) for a change? Weather, sweat can be trigger for flares, can try moisturizing to protect skin barrier and keep cool. Plus see a doc if you're seriously bothered by it, it's difficult to guess.

Take care & update us,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

artysue

by artysue on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 pm

hi dancesonfire . im sue . just been reading your story .. i live in england and have had severe atopic eczema for 30 years ...the weather here is always not good :( so dont have a problem with heat , i and am seeing my dermatologist and at present on drugs to surpress my immune system .. i have the itching very bad at times and take anti histimines called atarax only on prescription as are sedating and make you drowsy and do help the itch alot .. i have urticuria too which sounds a lot like what you may have raised bumps that itch and very red ..usually they are many triggers.. but antihistimines will help .. or cold ice pack on the area helps for instant relief .. i am on lots of different steroid creams and emollients .putting the creams in the fridge can help too..hope this helps sue :)

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:44 am

Hi Sue!

Yup, for some children, they like their creams in fridge too! Thanks for sharing that!

:)
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts