unmanageable flare ups

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

14 posts
dr_troy_uk

by dr_troy_uk on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 pm

unmanageable flare ups

Hi I am in my early 40s and have lived with eczema all my life, recently though I have really struggled with managing it.

I have used emuvate for nearly 10 years, I recently went private to have my skin checked over for thinning as I was really concerned due to using emuvate for so long. I also use dermol but no matter what i do it seems to just flare up and take ages to go down. Its even appearing where I used to suffer from it as a child on my legs and hands. I have resorted to using a hair dryer or hot showers to relieve the itching but now even that has got to a point where i would have to keep doing it regular just to take it away.

The only thing i can link it to is I move house and area about 2 years ago which coincides with the flare ups, and i wondered if it was the water. I have started putting vitamin c tablets in the bath this week, and its i know its early but i think its making a difference. Which makes me wonder if its chlorine in the water?

Anyone else had any issues with the local water being a trigger and used vitamin c to dechlorinate?

Many thanks

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:40 am

Re: unmanageable flare ups

Hi!

Sorry to hear of flareups, particularly with the house moving.

Few things to share:
1. Hot shower - it maybe that it can temporarily numb the nerves and therefore relieve the itch BUT it is very bad for skin as it strips moisture away. Do use colder water instead and moisturize immediately after.
2. Allergy testing - This can cover environmental allergens, like house dust mites, pollen, trees that may also be relevant, may not be the water - but do share with us if your method shows improvement!
3. Chlorine - While it does irritate skin for some, it is also a good way to remove staph bacteria that is very prevalent on eczema skin and promotes inflammation. Bleach bath and swimming are actually recommended by docs and for bleach bath, studies have shown it helped young children manage their eczema.

Stress could also be a factor, say the relocation tied in with a new job that is stressful?

Take care, and keep us updated,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

harrison8bal

by harrison8bal on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 am

Hey dr_troy_uk (it's a bit late to reply to you but I can't help but notice your main problem I hope you'll receive this message),

What Marcie Mom said above is right, you've got to stop the hot showers, that's number one.

So you've been using eumovate for 10 years? That's an excessive use of steroids. But then you chose to use dermol, that's a 0.05% very potent steroid, you must stop using them!

Other than the side effects doctors tell you like skin thinning, there's actually another syndrome called the red skin syndrome = steroid-induce eczema, which is derived from overuse of steroids causing your body to depend on it, which means the longer you use it the more you need it and the stronger dose you need.

What you should really do right now is, stop steroids. It's typical advice, hard to, but you've got to find a time that you can stay at home and use some time to heal. There's no other way.

All the best.
Harrison Li

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Please can I ask what the vitamin c in your bath water does??
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm

The Dermol may not be a topical steroid as there is also a demol range that consists of an emollient, bath oil and lotion etc.

I would also like to know what the vitamin c in the bath water does.

harrison8bal

by harrison8bal on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:57 am

Ah, but her sense, I believe she was talking about the steroid one. Because after 10 years of using her existing 0.01% potency cream, she will develop tolerance and she will need stronger doses.

The vitamin C tablet to the water helps dechlorinate the water in the shower

GodsHerbs

by GodsHerbs on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 pm

do not listen to any doctor that tells you to use creams or steroid cream to treat your eczem, as that will make your body more acidic and your prone to get more flare ups. eczema is not a disease all it is, is you have a backed up lymthatic system in your body (thats is controlled by your adrenal glands, which control your kidneys) your adrenal glands are not flushing the waste out of your body properly so it is coming out of your skin. you will have to juice fast on a high fruit diet. fruit is the perfect detox food ( dont listen to people who tell you it has to much sugar in it, because fructose sugar is not the same as refined sugar). do not eat meat or dairy products as it will make your body more acidic or even cooked food for about 3 months, and i promise if you follow this advice and dont quit, i promise you your eczema will go. for some it might take longer, it all depends on how acidic your body is.
Last edited by admin on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to video advertising treatments removed - not permitted in our forums - see forum rules

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Don't think this is a good idea as your body would be missing out on much needed nutrients. I don't believe it is a good idea to live on just fruit for 3 months.

GodsHerbs

by GodsHerbs on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 pm

your body has all the nutrients already stored in your body, enough to last 6 weeks if you were to not eat anything. i have experienced this juice fast and it does work and has worked for a lot of people who have juice fasted. instead of speaking out of ignorance you should try it first and see how extremely effective it is at curing skin conditions.. yes i said curing skin conditions.

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 pm

It is my almost 9 year old son that has eczema not myself. I don't believe that a child that is still growing and developing should be on such a limited diet.

I have watched some of the videos that the link you provided goes to and I am not convinced. I don't see how this diet can be a cure to so many diseases. The Dr on it claims that tumours can be shrunk by following this diet, if only it was that simple.

14 posts