The Itch Scratch Cycle

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

62 posts
goldfinger

by goldfinger on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:09 am

itching...

ive had eczema all my life and about 4 months ago i had a really bad outbreak and ended up in hospital, when i got out i was on dermovate , protopic and using emolients (im still using the protopic and emolients). after the hospital, the eczema completely went for a short while, and my skin is the best its ever been. still have eczema on hands feet legs etc, but arms and torso and face/neck are all clear!! but im still permanently itchy all over even in places ive never even had eczema!!
i really want to keep it at bay but: I. Cannot. Stop. Scratching.
I literally dont know how to live life without scratching!! strong anti histamines are fine for night time but i cant take them during the day! every day i have an urge to take 2 piriton when i come home at 5 just to do something about the itch. every hour from when i wake up im just waiting till i can take the piriton and go to sleep, safe in the knowledge i wont scratch at night!!
everyone is losing patience with me especially my mom because they feel its completely self inflicted, and the itch could hardly be that bad.
i really feel like my skin would be perfect if only i could stop bloody scratching. its so close now..

(sorry this was quite pointless, of course if there was no itch we would all be fine!)

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: itching...

Hi

This is going to sound random and I hope someone else can help you more, Search more through this site. There is a book which is all about breaking the scratching cycle. If I find it I will let you know. But GREAT you have the eczema under control, but there IS a system out there to help you breat the scratch cycle. Keep looking. Also if you eczema flares treat it asap don't let it get bad then it will go down quicker, you now know what to do to control your eczema, rather than eczema control you. Good luck.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Sammie

by Sammie on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:34 am

wow, brilliant....
Now what to do because youv'e spent soo long scratching!?
It's breaking the habit.
It's strange when you have spent so long behaving that way.....it's like losing something...and you don't know what to do with yourself.

It's surprising how much of your life is consumed by either thinking about eczema, as well as applying creams etc.
Think of ways to fill your time that you would have spent scratching or applying cream and bandages.
You must have a whole list of things...I know I did!!???? :idea: ;)
Let us know how you get along?
I wish you well..x

indiemandm

by indiemandm on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Goldfinger, so glad I read you post. My husband has had exzema for about four years, it used to just be on his hands but is now on his feet as well. He's miserable and I feel helpless - especially as all I can do is say "stop scratching". I know he must hate it and I get frustrated with him but now I've seen your post I know it is probably unconscious on his part.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to help him, I feel like anything I say/do is just nagging. Even if I tell him to go to the doctor he gets annoyed as the doctor just gives him the same steroid cream each time and it never clears up. He was referred to a dermatologist last year but the patch test they gave him was "inconclusive" so we've gone back to a cycle of steroids and itching. I looked at private treatment but even a consultation is £150!!!!

Thanks for reading and hope you conquer the daytime itching. I will definately be feeding my husband Piriton now!! x

goldfinger

by goldfinger on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 pm

indiemandm, the best advice i have for you is simply: instead of telling him "stop scratching" , distract him. someone saying "stop scratching" is just incredibly frustrating because you realise youre annoying people but you just cant stop!! thanks for your replies, im trying my hardest here!! definitely getting better!

indiemandm

by indiemandm on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks Goldfinger, i'll try that out instead, i hate being a nagging wife! I showed him you post and he was really pleased he's not on his own. Hope you get your itching under control soon x :D

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 am

The Itch Scratch Cycle

How much does your eczema itch? Do you scratch? If not, how do you cope with the itching? Here's the place to talk about itching and scratching.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: The Itch Scratch Cycle

Don't scratch but pat the itch!! Grandma suggested it for my children as a fellow sufferer of Eczema. It is a physical response without causing damage. My young children are great at it, it even worked when they recently suffered with chicken pox!! Try it?? Let us know what you think??
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

mark

by mark on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 pm

im a fan of the patting - it works for me when have sun burn too...! :oops:
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

carrotbug

by carrotbug on Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 pm

nicola, you are as itchy and scratchy and disturbed as me. hello. i am also about to embark on the 'eczema solution' path. please contact me... carolinejlever@yahoo.co.uk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

62 posts