Living with eczema, a full blown rant.

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
BehindBlueEyesx

by BehindBlueEyesx on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Living with eczema, a full blown rant.

I recently found out about this blog, so I'm completely new to the whole idea of it.
As a last resort, I am turning to blogs as emotional support. :cry:
I have suffered with sever eczema all my life, and at one point it was bearable and easy to cope with. Since the start of the new year my eczema has been at an all new level of itchy, pain, blotchyness, mainly on my legs.
I find myself ashamed and embarrassed to even show people my legs, which in this weather is difficult as I would rather be warm, consequently making it more itchy and worse than if I just 'got my legs out'
I have been from treatment to treatment, cream to cream and tried the odd herbal rubbish.
Although my family suffer from it too theirs isn't as bad and I live with my boyfriend whom tries to understand but unless you have felt the wrath of that itchy red curse, I don't think you could even sympathize. :twisted:
I miss the simple things, being able to shave my legs for example, and even feel remotely womanly and smooth, or just looking down and seeing no red. With a history of depression self harming, I find myself looking at my legs like an ugly addition of myself that need to be stripped bare and made to disappear, feeling myself going back in to the downward spiral I have only just emerged from.
I feel the doctors get fed up every time I go back looking for another answer, which they just throw creams and steroids at. Doesn't matter what it is the eczema always comes back, and I fear I will have it ruling my life, if it isn't already.
I'm at my wits end, and with no one else to turn to, I felt the need to just rant and try and get things off my chest. I used to feel brave living and dealing with it, as I get the odd 'is it contagious' remarks. But now I would rather hide away than embrace it.

artysue

by artysue on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Living with eczema, a full blown rant.

hi just seen your story..im sue and had eczema 30 years .urticuria .ashma atopic eczema .hayfever.............. i have suffered very much over the years my legs also are a mess and like you said i have to cover up in the summer :( too ..very very itchy all over my body a lot of the time . .use numerous creams and steroid creams when its bad .im seeing a dermatologist and recently had a skin biopsy ...results ok :) .thow been on methatextrate since feb to suppress my immune system .....as having tried other things .light treatment .which made me worse.......have you tried atarax antihistimine from your docter very sedating . helps get some sleep and relieves the itch i totally understand where you are coming from you are not alone this is a very good forum to get help ;) .all the best sue

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:38 am

Hi! This is the place for ranting! It's after all started by Deborah when her child had eczema (her story on my blog, which I started also because of my girl's eczema).

Keep a positive attitude and don't give up.. the skin's barrier for eczema is defective so needs lots of TLC - moisturizing, treating, healthy lifestyle and cleaning off staph bacteria which is prevalent on the skin.

Chat more soon, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

BehindBlueEyesx

by BehindBlueEyesx on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:00 am

I appreciate both your replies!
Support from people helps, as well as ranting of course :)
I too have tried light therapy, and although it had good results it came back with a vengeance.
I will look into a couple of those that you mentioned though Sue, it's much appreciated and great to finally be around people who understand.

<3

elites89

by elites89 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:24 am

At least it's only on your legs some ppl have it all over including myself but its not too bad but It still sucks having it esp being the only one to have it in my whole family -___-. Like you I too have also just joined this site and its really nice to know we're not alone. But yea all I can say is try to stay positive dont stress and keep the moisture up drink a lot of water and just eat right. I'm still young so I don't know too much in fact I'm scared to go see the docs lol. Stay strong.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:27 am

Hi elites89,

Why are you scared to see the docs? :)) sending support from Singapore. As eczema is a chronic condition, it's really important to find a doc that you can trust, since it's unlikely to be a single consultation.

Take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator

Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

artysue

by artysue on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm

my eczema affects my whole body ... i am 53 and had it for 30years and on immunesuppresants as all other treatments didnt work for me ...use lots if steroids and creams and antihiystimines ...you should go to the docter they will be able to give you something to help with your eczema you will get lots of help and support from people here who know how this horrid condition affects their lifes ..take care :)

Malihah244

by Malihah244 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm

I started drinking Zeal because my friend told me how much she loved how it has changed her moods and her energy levels. I didn't really know what it was or what it could do for me. After a week of drinking it my eczema started to clear up. I have tried everything for eczema. MSM, Omega 3, Vitamin D,borage oil, special oils and lotions, etc. I wasn't even using it to clear it up and it just started to fade and continues. I had it on my eye lids and suddenly the redness and itchyness just went away. I also had it on my cheeks and in between my fingers. I forget to put the lotion I was putting on it because it doesn't itch any more. It may be because the Zeal has more bioavailable Vitamin D, food source Omega 3 or gotu kola. I don't know. I just know I am going to keep drinking it. I think eczema is a condition because we are lacking something in our diet and it is hard to know what it is in our diet we are missing. This drink has so much in it I think it could help almost any eczema sufferer. Also it is loaded with anti-inflammatory foods so eczema is bound to get better.
Last edited by admin on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Promotional URL removed as selling not permitted in these forums - see forum rules

Daniel eczema

by Daniel eczema on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi,

I just found this site I am 36 and have had bad eczema on and off been hospitalised a couple of times as it has been so bad. I have for the last three years had it worse than ever. I have used steroids for so long my skin in like tracing paper n parts. It takes very little to break it. My body goes up and down but my face has been very red, dry or like tonight weeping like a tap and no matter what I do I can not dry it out.

I have a really understanding partner but she must be fed up after three years every day hearing me talk about it, getting up in the night, depressed as it drives you mad. Some days I feel like it takes all of my mental strength just to get to the end of the day with out crying or wanting to rip off your skin.

I have tried pro topic and they just burn, I have tried methotrexate and also cyclosporine. The second worked well for the body but never cleared my face.

Rant over with I feel your pain if you want to chat feel free.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:24 am

So sorry to hear of your eczema condition, not getting better despite already on the stronger oral med :( Do rant here, feel free to rant and I'll respond whenever I can :) Hopefully it makes you feel better someone is listening in forums (or you can join a local support group) and that way, rant less with your partner and enjoy your time together. I've a toddler with eczema, and we try to maintain normal activities with her notwithstanding the itch. Fortunately she didn't have any allergy and recovering well.

Take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator

10 posts