New to these boards (and to eczema)

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
Kisara

by Kisara on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:53 am

New to these boards (and to eczema)

Hello all.

I was recently diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. It's a fairly mild case (right now, at least) on my lips. I was given 2.5% hydrocortisone ointment to use for two weeks. It worked while I was using it, but three days after I stopped the blisters/weird dryness were back. I'm now on protopic and i've been noticing that the area around my mouth (and also my cheeks) feels dry and tight, but there are no visible symptoms there. I've been applying aquaphor and vaseline there to help with the dry feeling.

I'm going through the process of getting patch testing approved through my insurance. My dermatologist thinks I'm having a reaction to something, but we have no idea what. I don't use products on my face (no lipstick, no lip gloss, no lotions.. nothing). Mysteries abound!

Anyway, nice to meet all of you. I've never had this issue before, so I'm brand new to all of this... hoping to find a bit of relief soon and thankful that the case is fairly mild *knocks on wood*.

Kisara

by Kisara on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:23 am

Re: New to these boards (and to eczema)

Well, I went about two weeks with no symptoms and not using any medicine. I was only putting vaseline and/or pure aloe vera gel on the spot of irritation (lips). However, yesterday and today I have noticed tiny blisters popping back up on my lips and a sort of rash, so I have started using the protopic again.

The only thing out of the ordinary is that I was traveling. Yesterday I took a flight from Oregon to Colorado to visit my family. I am wondering if the stress of travel set off the condition again...?

Any advice or tips for preventing flare ups is appreciated. My dermatologist believes I am allergic to something, but we have no idea what because I never used any product on my face/lips to begin with. I already tried changing toothpaste. I have an appointment for patch testing, but it is not until Jan 27. :(

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:22 pm

The problem with eczema is that the flare up could be due to absolutely anything and it's a trial and error situation. It's good you have an appointment for an allergy test as this will certainly help - let us know how you get on post 27 Jan - good luck - in the meantime I hope you have a good Christmas.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Kisara, I would strongly think about the link to the air conditioned flight and temperature changes that may have triggered your flares.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

clarkenneth

by clarkenneth on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Kisara,
I strongly agree with the "admin" user that the flare up can be caused by absolutely anything. On the other hand, some tips can be considered in addition: have you drunk on the airplane from any glass? You may be allergic to the disinfectant they used. Have you touched your mouth during your travel? If yes, you could easily "stain" your lips with anything. The allergy test is a good point, so don't miss it. In the meantime, try out some lotions to see if they help to eliminate some of your symptoms.
Thanks,
CK
"Health is our greatest wealth!"
-------------------------------------
http://www.topicaldermatitis.com

Helen24

by Helen24 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Kisara

I'm new here as well. I hope you get some results with the patch tests. They are quite awkward - they stick these strips to your arms and back and no matter how much they irritate you can't take them off! I agree with AnnaB - sometimes air-conditioning can cause a flare up, but it's weird that its only affected your lips. Have you kissed anyone who wears strong perfume/aftershave? I know it sounds like a silly question, but it could be caused by literally anything! Good luck anyway.

lucyconnor

by lucyconnor on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:28 pm

I don't actually suffer with Eczema anymore (I'm here about my son), well I do get the odd patch here and there occassionally but it is very mild, but I do get very dry lips from air-con or heating. Not sure if this is anything to do with Eczema, never even linked the two until reading this but I just wanted to comment that it is definately a possibility.

Lucy x

Champ_15

by Champ_15 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi!

You didn't say how old you are in your post but when adults get eczema it is most commonly on their face (sods law!) and hands. I am 27 now and in the past have had severe eczema that covered my whole body, thankfully most of my skin has been under control for about 4 years now but I still suffer occassionally with my lips. My eczema isn't caused by an allergy to anything specific, it just is what it is. If you are prone to eczema some things will irritate it more, like chillies for example or if you are in a very dry environment (e.g. air con or winter conditions), but flare ups can also happen for no reason whatsoever.

I like to take a simple view of eczema and the treatment of it, which has worked for me as a treatment and as a prevention method. Since you haven't had eczema for long this may be a good starting point to see if any of these tips work for you....
TWO STEPS
1) hydrate it (emollient applied frequently & everyday even when skin looks ok, drink lots of water & avoid irritants like soap etc.)
2) heal it (steriod cream applied only during flare ups to help heal the skin)

My tips - hydrate it....
[*]Get a really good plain emollient (moisturiser) from your doctor and use it as much as you can.
[*]Avoid branded/cosmetic moisturisers, even the very expensive ones contain lots of other ingredients - simplicity is key.
[*]Try different emollients to find the one(s) you like best - and one that will fit into your lifestyle too because you will use it more (for example you may pick two that you like to use... a heavier one at night and a non-greasy easily absorbable one for daytime application when you are out and about).
[*]Don't rub it all in when you apply emollient, use a thick layer, let it absorb into the skin naturally, (obviously this is not always practical in the day!!)
[*]Use emollient everyday even when the skin isn't flared up, this helps prevent new flare ups.
[*]At a minimum I'd apply emollient twice a day, but since it is just moisturiser it is safe to use as much as you feel you need to. To treat a flare up I would apply 4-6 times a day, then I'd reduce the frequency to twice a day when the skin is calmer.
[*]It is key to re-apply emollient if your skin has been wet - wettness will dehyrate your skin, so apply soon after you have showered or washed your face. You shouldn't need to reapply every time you drink, but this will have an effect during the day.
[*]Get a travel size emollient and take it with you always!
[*]Avoid irritants as much as is possible - soap is a key culprit for drying out the skin (soap free shower gels and face washes are available, or you can also wash with emollient), perfume is also drying because of the alcohol content - again just try to keep what you put on your skin to a minimum. If you are in a drying environment make sure you reapply emollient frequently.

My tips - heal it....
[*]The dry skin and itching breaks the skin so you also need to use something to help heal the skin - this is where a steriod cream is used.
[*]Only use a steriod cream when you have a flare up, you don't use it everyday like emollient.
[*]Try different strengths of steriod cream, start low and work up. As a rule if a steriod cream hasn't cleared a mild flare up in 3-5 days step up the concentration - your doctor will be able to advise you on this better than I can though!
[*]There are cream and ointment steriod treatments - they work better on different types of flare up so ask about this too.
[*]Apply steriods after your emollient and wait until the emollient has absorbed in fully - if it hasn't it will dilute the effect of the steroid cream.
[*]You only have to use a thin layer of steriod cream - the effects are not multiplied if you apply more.
[*]Don't be too scared of skin thinning as a result of topical steriods - do follow your doctors instructions but if used in the right amounts and for short periods this isn't a problem.
[*]Eczema carries a bacteria on the surface so is prone to infections, it is important to heal the skin as soon as possible to avoid this, but if you see an infection appearing, get doctor to give you treatment asap, it won't clear up by itself, might spread and is just painful! Antibiotics are usually given as either an oral tablet or as a steriod cream with antibiotics included.

I hope this might be of use, you can get in control of it, it is just about getting a cream routine and sticking to it!
Good luck, hope you clear up quickly.
x

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:06 pm

I'd like to say a warm welcome to all those people who are new to our forums. I hope that some of you will be able to find answers to your questions, gain valuable support from other members and generally use our community support to get you through those bad days.

I'd also like to formally welcome AnnaB who is our first official moderator. AnnaB has a wealth of experience I'm sure she will share with you over time.

Warm regards
Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

overit

by overit on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:01 am

Hi
am new to this and have been reading up on peoples different opinions on excema and also remedies. My daughter is 10 and has had severe excema for the past year or so.It started off with just little marks on the cracks of her arms and knees but now covers her legs, arms, and tummy it is also making its way to her hands and she now has 1 little patch under her eye. We have made many visits to the doctors and i feel that nothing they give works because we are still struggling to keep it under control. We have so many medicines and ointments thrown at us and i have also tried alternate remedies but i find im fighting a losing battle and whats more my daughter suffers with it. We have been on a waiting list to see a dermatologist because he only visits our town once a month and because my daughter is only a status 2 and not a 1 she did not get to see him on his last visit a couple of weeks ago. Its really hard not knowing what sets it off but am hoping that this appointment will help us discover what does. I feel so much for my daughter because she is always in constant pain i really dont know what else to do :(

10 posts