protopic

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

9 posts
sopna

by sopna on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:20 pm

protopic

Hello

My daughters been prescribed with protopic today from the hospital, shes only 4. Even though the reassured me she will be ok im still a bit worried cos of the immune changing factor. I was wondering has anyone used this before and how they got on?

Thank you
Sopna

olivermax

by olivermax on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: protopic

Hi
I have a 6 year old boy with severe atopic eczema. He has had protopic 0.03 now for about six weeks. The first few days his skin was itchy when applied, but after a few days the eczema faded from his face and i was applying the cream once ever other day until about once or twice a week. His face cleared up - but the rest of his body has been terrible. Hospital are booking him in for light therapy treatment :cry:

Unfortunately, his skin is severe at the moment (all over his body). As we're now into spring and we've had a few warm days he's started getting bumps on his face. I've used the protopic more this week and I'm panicking about whether it's OK to put it on when it's warm sunny. I put some on last night. His dad had him today, but unfortunately didn't put his hat on and took him to the coast - great!. tonight his face was beetroot - i've managed to cool him down by applying hydromol ointment and keeping his room cool and fanning his face.

Like you I am worried too, but nothing else seems to work, but I worry there are implications using immune supressants.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question - just ranted on about my own worries.
:|
best wishes

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi
Both of my children now aged 4 and 6 use protopic on bad areas where nothing else is working. I refused it for a year but then realised their quality of life was suffering. Again it is a balancing act - split bleeding skin is at risk of infection needing antibiotics. My son had started to show signs of skin thinning so I knew we'd triend all options 1st and had to take this next step. We use it only at night and steroids in the day and keep sun exposure to a minimum. I've just seen my son doing PE at school and he's wearing his hat that also covers his neck and has cotton gloves on as his hands are bad at the moment. I feel for him but I know I am doing the best I can for him.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

olivermax

by olivermax on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi
What are the signs of skin thinning in a young child?
cheers

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:56 am

My son is 6 years old and we have been using protopic 0.1 twice a day since November. I do worry about it but my so definitely has a better quality of life at the moment.

Jaydean

by Jaydean on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi,

Im in my 30s with sever eczema and they perscribed me with protopic. It also goes by the name of Tacrilimus, and apparently it isnt a steriod cream so your little one should be fine. Its starnge Ive suffered from this disease for 28 years, not have a 2 year old and I watch her skin like a hawk.

sopna

by sopna on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. I applied the cream on my daughter and the first couple of nights she actually slept through, however its a battle to put it on her now. Can i just ask can u apply the protopic striaght away after mositurisers?

Sopna

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:47 am

Hi
We apply the protopic then moisturise on top this stops the moisturiser being a barrier so the skin gets full benefit from the protopic. I try to leave a break between the 2 creams but sometime time just does not allow.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:57 am

We do the same as previous post.

9 posts