Side effects of beta blockers

If you have questions about treatments for heart problems, angina, high blood pressure etc, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Sanguy

by Sanguy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Side effects of beta blockers

I was diagnosed with Brugada Syndrome in 2007 and had a defibrillator fitted in 2009. There is no problem with the defibrillator. Earlier in the year I was suffering from palpitations and wore a monitor to confirm that my heart was racing, which it was, even when I was asleep. Subsequently I started on bisoprolol and now take 5mg a day. However I am becoming increasingly concerned because I find that my hair is thinning and falling out. It was only because I was starting to wonder why this was happening that made me read the enclosed leaflet with the tablets and read that hair loss was a rare side effect. As a woman this obviously concerns me. I see my cardiologist in February but I would welcome your comments especially as regards alternatives to taking bisoprolol. Thank you
Sanguy

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Side effects of beta blockers

Hi Sanguy

Thank you for your post.

There's many causes of hair thinning and hair loss. This can be an uncommon side effect of many drugs but could be due to an unrelated cause. It would be sensible to discuss this with your Cardiologist. I think it would be sensible to have your thyroid function tested with your GP to start with.

I often see patients with these complaints. A variety of conditions can be associated. They include polycystic ovaries, hypothyroidism and obesity. There are a number of less common causes but these are quite rare.

Regards

Dr M Haq
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

Sanguy

by Sanguy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Re: Side effects of beta blockers

Thank you Dr Haq for your reply. I had a test for thyroid before going on medication and it was fine. I am a little overweight but not obese. I will take your advice and consult with my cardiologist. Thank you again.
Sanguy

3 posts