15 year old girl with eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

43 posts
catjag19

by catjag19 on Sun May 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: 14 year old girl sufferer

Thanks (:
At the moment I cant get them because they havent come onto prescription for me. They should do soon though, and I will get them because they are great!
Aha, very good point. Probably NONE!

Helen

by Helen on Tue May 26, 2009 1:36 pm

hi there, i know exactly how u feel, i am now 23 but i had a very hard time a school, i understand what it like to see other peoples skin and feel bad about yourself, i had people pick on me for my skin, i had it all over my bosy and on my face! it was very hard i cryed every day, i scractched all day and all night, soem days i couldnt even bare to go into school, i felt like i was the only one in the whole school to have somthing bad, after a while i got it into my head that these people who picked on me were really only hiding something bad they had, they were compensatign for spots, or scares ect.... i have even started writing my own book on my life and how i cope with this condition, even to ths day i atillhave eczema, mine is very servre, i am on medictaion which helps but i still get bad flare ups, and still egt people looking, if u ever need someone to contact you can email me, we can chat, i have found this site very good and the people here are so helpfull and kind, with your skin when you nt a school or anything try to let your skin breath as much as possible if u cover up to much u will sweat and that will make it worse, i hope it gives you some comfort that you are not alone in this there are alot of people who care and understand how you feel and what your going through.

Good Luck

Helen x x

catjag19

by catjag19 on Tue May 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Helen,

Thanks for your message.
I didnt know how many people were actually just like me as it seems that everyone at school have perfect skin and dont understand what people like us have to go through.
I do get a few comments to my face but they are sympathetic ones not horrible ones. It must of been very hard for you to go through all that when you were my age and even younger. It makes me so angry that some people can say nasty things to people who really cannot help having excema and dont deserve any nasty comments and bullying.
I have recently bought some lighter clothes for the summer as I do get hotter in my thicker layers so thanks for your advice.

Thanks again for your support (:

Catherine
x

Ghosty

by Ghosty on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 am

Hey, I'm 17, and like you, I'm new to this place! xD
My eczema sounds similar to yours, except, I've been fortunate enough not to have any skin infections, as of yet. I also scratch my legs and arms in the night, and after waking up to find scratch marks all down my legs, I decided to cut my nails, to the extent that they couldn't do any more damage to my skin, to be fair, keeping my nails shorter, has helped a lot. If, like me, you love having your nails longer, then you could always invest in fake nails :P That's what I've done! xD
Wishing you luck -
Kate [[ Ghosty ]]

Nick91

by Nick91 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey,
I'm 18 and have been a long time sufferer of eczema as well. I have the contact dermatitis that effects me the most socially at school. I get the embarrassing rash on the face/neck/arms/legs that tends to draw stares, though I've been lucky that people keep any comments to themselves. It sucks when friends want to do something or go somewhere but I have to refuse because I'm just too embarrassed to be seen in public, so much for having a social life.
I just thought that I'd say I know how you feel. I hear often of either babies or adults who suffer from it, but not so much from teenagers or youth, it's always good to know we're not alone. And I agree with what was previously said, to try and stay cool in the summer! I know if I sit in the sun too long or get overheated, the sweat makes my skin itch like crazy!

-Nick

itchscratch

by itchscratch on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi there you poor thing I completely understand how you feel....I started getting excema when I was about 16 and I used to (and still do) look at other people's perfect skin and I know how depressed it can make you. I don't know why I never had excema when I was little I guess it had something to do with rainwater instead of town water. If you can afford a filter for your shower then that's the way to go....If I could afford it I would get it. I know sunshine helps it dramatically because it always clears up in summer and the crap that your clothes are made out of is way too harsh....if you can't get in the sun then wears shorts inside and sit next to the heater - burn the bugs away I reckon. And overdose yourself on Omega 3 oils (Flaxseed is supposed to be the richest source of this). Take plenty of drowsy antihistamines at night (I take 2-3 now) and then the itching and scratching is minimal. I'm really glad I found this site and people that are going through the same thing and know exactly how I feel. I hope to find a cure for this stupid illness once and for all and then we'll all be happy!

itchscratch

by itchscratch on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:49 pm

by the way I'm 27 now I forgot to mention.....and as for wearing gloves etc. well I rub my skin on the edge of the bed, with the side of my foot, even on my husband! It doesn't matter I'll find a way to scratch that's why i have to dope myself with antihistamines to sleep sort of like a normal person. I bet you would all love to go to bed without having to worry about the state in which you wake up in! I can't wait for that day. Bring on the good times.

kes75

by kes75 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:25 pm

I also agree with the oils burning, my little one doesnt like them. we put her epiderm emoilent in the bath and she washes with it. She loves that as its messy. lol. but it does seem to soak in to her skin better for the night. My daughter also has it bad on her wee wrists and the back of her hands/knuckles. Thats why I thought her clothing was prob causing alot of it. SO tried to change soap powder and its made a HUGE diff using my new one Simply wash. its fantastic

Lisahamill

by Lisahamill on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 am

Hi there
I hope you find what you are looking for here. Have you tried drinking Aloe Vera? A friend of mine has been doing so for a few months and here eczema has improved dramatically. There is also a cream that you can use externally which I saw someone else raving about on this sight. Products come with a 60 day money back guarantee as well :D Let me know if you would like to know more
Lisa

ironchef

by ironchef on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:21 pm

This question is for Mrs. Cizzi. Do your children have eczema? Until recently I had pretty bad eczema...I have always been worried that if I were to have children that they'd inherit this disease. Were you able to avoid this? Any advice?

Thanks,

Ironchef

43 posts