15 year old girl with eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

43 posts
catjag19

by catjag19 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:23 am

Re: 14 year old girl sufferer

Hi,

Yes I am getting lots of support on here, its a great to talk about my skin to others who understand properly!

I have always used oils in the bath but the moistriser doesnt sound like a bad idea. What type do you put in your son's bath? Creams like epaderm or like cetreben?

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi

Get a tub with a lid, an empty Epaderm would be good and put 2 or 3 golf ball size lumps of Epaderm or 8 to 10 pumps of Cetraben in and add the hotest water. Keep shaking until all disolved then add to your water. Cetraben is the easiest. Then use the same cream to wash with. Give it a week and see how you go. We saw great results within 2 days when my son was a baby i'd give it a week and see how you get on.

Have you tried Hydromol, it is nearly the same as Epaderm but smoother and just has a nicer feel on the skin.

Good luck keep me posted

Anna :)
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

BrucieTee

by BrucieTee on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:47 pm

I understand how painful it can be and the frustration that comes with this. I'm only 18 and i've had to deal with it my whole life so far basically. But instead of it calming down like most peoples, mine has gotten worse lately. I've resorted to painful experiments in hopes of curing myself. Binding my wrists behind my back as I sleep, overload on antihistamines, even pricking my skin with a needle then using rubbing alcohol. All were painful and now all i know is that stress aggravates it even further. If you ever need someone to talk to just let me know.

catjag19

by catjag19 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Anna,

That sounds like a really good idea, I will have to tell my parents and see what they say. I will give it a go when my skin is bad but at the moment it seems ok. But knowing me and my scratching I will need cetreben in the bath soon!
What exactly does it do? Does it help with dry skin too?
Yes, I use hydromol once a day all over my body. Yeahh, its a much nicer cream than epaderm as I had epaderm for 2 years but now I use hydromol instead.

Thanks (:

Hi BrucieTee,

Thanks for your post. I have used meditation a few times where I concentrate on my breathing. At the start of the exercise I have to say "my skin is clear and beautiful" and then again at the end. I find that this helps when I find myself scratching. I have also been told sometimes to imagine my skin covered in ice cold water or eat something freezing like ice cream. This helps with the mind and slowly will help with scratching. Maybe try something like this or find something that works for you.
I know having excema is hard and it sounds like most people have it worst than me. I have good skin days (like today) and bad (last saturday when I went to hospital because I was a lobster!). Excema is unpredictable but I have found that if I leave my skin alone and dont scratch as much it gets better faster.
Thanks for your support, good luck and try not to get too stressed!!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:29 pm

If your ok using the creams then using them in your bath water to moistiurise will reduce the introduction of other ingredients in the bath oils, something my son reacted to. We bath my daughter this way to and it suits her as well.

I get the idea from what you have written that you have good and bad days. We were told that the skin care routine of moisturising must always be kept up if skin is good or bad. My sons has specific areas that the hospital have struggled to get under control, to keep the bad areas under control we used steroid 2 days a week to try and stop those areas getting really bad. The idea by keeping on top of the flare it reduces the bad flare coming up and not needing weeks of steroids.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

catjag19

by catjag19 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm

I have been using oil since I was very young and havent had any problems which is good. But I must try the cream in the bath one day, good skin or bad!
Yes, I always do my daily rountine of creams good skin or bad. I know otherwise my skin will go down hill and become extremley dry!
Have you used Aveeno on your children before? Im getting dermasilk gloves and a sleeve on Friday so I shall try them out too. They sound really good and my nurse was impressed when I said I knew about them! All because of this site!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi

Great your getting some dermasilk to try. My children get a long sleeve top and leggings to wear under their clothes, so if the sleeve works then do get some whole garments.

No I have not tried Aveeno on the children but I use it on my hands during the evening.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

ironchef

by ironchef on Fri May 01, 2009 2:17 am

Hi Catherine,

You asked if I had ever scratched for no reason? TOTALLY! Unfortunately, I still do. Especially if I'm stressed, nervous or tired. I won't be itchy, but I'll start scratching or rubbing my skin...especially my hands. Again, I have to distract myself by keeping busy.

Ironchef

catjag19

by catjag19 on Fri May 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Anna,

Dermasilk is amazing! I wore the sleeve and gloves last night and they work really well. The gloves suck to my hands which is what I need.
Thanks for telling me about them :D

Ironchef,

I am stopping it but I do exactly like you. I wish they made a cure. Keeping busy I suppose is the cure!
Thanks (:

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri May 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Great, I'm so pleased the Dermasilk has helped. Try to get a top and bottom, on prescription as a set I think. You can wear them day or night under your clothes. They may not look that special but how many of your friends will be wearing pur silk??? :D
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

43 posts