Eczema on Eyelids- any tips?

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
Hillaryt

by Hillaryt on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Eczema on Eyelids- any tips?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum. I have suffered with eczema on my face all my life. It usually appears on my cheeks which I can manage with different lotions and creams but I'm always stumped when it comes to the eczema on my eyelids. It's a very sensitive area and often times creams make it swollen and worse. As a young woman it's very embarrassing, the eye gets extremely dry creating folds, it gets red and sometimes swollen. Please note this is NOT due to a makeup, face wash or pillowcase/detergent allergy, I am very consistent with what I use on my face. Please help!
Attachments
Eczema on Eyelid
Eczema on Eyelid
FullSizeRender-1.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 19132 times
Eczema on Eyelid 2
Eczema on Eyelid 2
FullSizeRender.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 19132 times

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:29 am

Re: Eczema on Eyelids- any tips?

Hi Hillary,

Sorry to hear of your eyelid rash, below is Q&A I had with a dermatologist on eyelid eczema, not sure if it'd be of help:
1. Do consult a doctor if you have rashes around the eyelid. It is important to determine what is causing the rash. Common causes include eczema and contact dermatitis secondary to eye make-up. In general, mild to mid potency steroids can be applied to the face. It should be applied twice a day and for not longer than 1-2 weeks. A mid potency steroid can be used initially then tailing down to a low potency steroid once the rash is better. Alternatively, a steroid-spring cream such as Tacrolimus or Pimicrolimus can used . In a minority of patients,Tacrolimus can cause a stinging sensation. At night, apply the cream just before you go to sleep. To prevent the steroid from dripping into the eyes, you can use a cream or ointment based steroid rather than a lotion based one which is more ‘watery’. Allow 20-30 minutes after application of the cream to the eyelids before doing activities that may cause sweating.

2. Clean the eyelid area, with lukewarm water, including cleaning the ‘mascara’ area of the eyelid. Avoid using water that is too hot. Use a gentle soap and do not rub this area excessively. Avoid using products with ingredients you’re allergic to. A patch test can be taken at the dermatologist, and ingredients that you’re tested sensitive to should be avoided for your face and eyelids as well.

3. Moisturize the eyelid, taking care again to use products that you are not allergic or sensitive to. If you feel that the moisturizing lotion you are using is too “watery“ and runs into your eyes, you can change the moisturizer to a cream or ointment form which is thicker.

The posts that you can refer to are: http://eczemablues.com/2012/10/facial-e ... e-eyelids/ and http://eczemablues.com/2014/08/eczema-c ... nd-eyelid/

Hope you'd find some relief from the eyelid rash soon, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Hillaryt

by Hillaryt on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:25 pm

I appreciate it thank you!

CaitlinIngram

by CaitlinIngram on Sun May 30, 2021 2:48 pm

I've had a weird eczema spot show up on my finger and under the eye from one day to another (I've never had eczema problems ever in my life) and it didn't get better no matter what I put on it. I got Foderma Eczema Treatment Serum and applied it 3 times a day it came in the mail; the next day, the finger and under-eye skin were almost back to normal! Now it's been 4 or 5 days of applying it and the finger and under-eye skin looks like nothing ever happened. Definitely recommend it.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:10 am

It relies upon what's causing your side effects. Certain purposes, as atopic dermatitis and seborrheic dermatitis, are long lasting circumstances. However, there are compelling medicines to clear up your side effects. What's more, you may likewise have the option to forestall new eruption

5 posts