Phototherapy & Patch Tests

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
curious_female

by curious_female on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Phototherapy & Patch Tests

Hello,
I'm 37 and I've had eczema on my hands and feet since I was a kid. It goes in the cycles of better and worse. I just found a dermatologist and she gave me a different prescription to try. It helped on my hands but not really on my feet. So now she is suggesting I consider phototherapy. Anyone ever do it? Did you find it beneficial?

The other thing she wants to try is doing a patch test for possible allergens. Has anyone ever done the patch test where you leave it on your back for 2 days then she checks it on day 3 & 4. I've had an environmental allergy prick test done, I was wondering if anyone found doing the patch test helpful in your treatment of your eczema?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:58 am

Re: Phototherapy & Patch Tests

Hi! No experience with phototherapy but for patch test, what you've described is standard patch test and it's worth doing to find out the ingredients that will cause rash for you. thereafter, you can actively avoid these ingredients in products you use or ask your dermatologist if she has access to a system to key in these ingredients, and then churn out a list of products that you actually can use. Keep us posted on how it goes, take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

skinsharesg

by skinsharesg on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Phototherapy & Patch Tests

I went through both phototherapy and patch test. Phototherapy did not help me but that's probably a personal experience but for some people, it does help.
However, I also went through a skin patch test with 30 common chemicals and it was a great thing because I found out that I was allergic to a common preservative chemical (MI) found in many detergents. And I finally found the root cause to my finger cracking and peeling everyday. Although that by itself did not resolve my eczema fully, but at least when I avoided direct contact with chemical detergent, my finger no longer peeled and cracked.
Thus, I highly recommend any test that can help you identify root cause.
Stay Healthy,
Bee (Founder of www.skinshare.sg : Skincare and Nutrition advice for Eczema)
skinsharesg@gmail.com

3 posts