Are immunosuppressants the best thing for eczema??

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
CloMartin_94

by CloMartin_94 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:56 am

Are immunosuppressants the best thing for eczema??

Hi I have had eczema from I was 2 weeks old and now I am 21 I have had nothing but bother from my skin for the past year. I have serve atopic eczema and have all my life and I never realised how much it effected my life until last year when I had to take the year out of university because I had missed so much class between hospital visits and being admitted to the dermatology ward.

I was put onto ciclosporin last September and I now have a skin flare up every other week! To be honest I think my skin has gotten worse from I started the tablets. My doctor is suggesting that I start a new tablet from my skin but is only suggesting the next one up from the one I am on.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone could suggest any tablets they have been put on for their skin so I have more options rather than just what is the cheapest for the NHS.

Any suggestions would be amazing!!!!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:40 am

Re: Are immunosuppressants the best thing for eczema??

You can check on the latest medication via injection, but understand from a dermatologist that only very severe eczema patients with certain criteria fulfilled will be recommended for this, very expensive too

https://nationaleczema.org/dupilumab-ad ... ermatitis/
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Mu5ician

by Mu5ician on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 am

Hi,
I went on ciclosporin as well and I was displeased with how long any sign of getting g better took. After my treatment I had light therapy and this import ed my skin by about 70% it really is worth looking in to.

parrotlover

by parrotlover on Mon May 08, 2017 10:52 am

Hi I know I hate taking tablets and emollient creams just didn't work for me. I bought a book called How to Beat Prickly Heat by Alison Curran, i downloaded it onto my phone as its a digital book, after following the instructions i found my eczema reduced massively plus it worked for the prickly heat. i recommended it to my friend, because her daughter has really bad acne, it made a huge difference in reducing it, which was brilliant as her daughter had been ravished by it and her confidence was at an all time low.

amoretterobles

by amoretterobles on Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 am

After developing eczema as an adult I tried many different "eczema" lotions. Nothing truly helped and it got so bad I had red, itchy rashes all over my calves, arms, and hands. Foderma serum finally helped, and I continue to use it daily to keep eczema at bay. I also like the anti itch serum if I do suffer an outbreak, but the mousfurizer had been so helpful I usually don't need anything else.

eczemahelp12345

by eczemahelp12345 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 pm

amoretterobles wrote:After developing eczema as an adult I tried many different "eczema" lotions. Nothing truly helped and it got so bad I had red, itchy rashes all over my calves, arms, and hands. Foderma serum finally helped, and I continue to use it daily to keep eczema at bay. I also like the anti itch serum if I do suffer an outbreak, but the mousfurizer had been so helpful I usually don't need anything else.
Eczema lotions are just a hype, if you look at thier ingredient they all have colloidal oatmeal or some form of eczema lotion just slapped on the bottle, they are all essentially the same, and none of the ones i found out actually helps eczema, except, because its a water based it actually dries the skin even faster. I have heard of people using cerave, cetaphil, but im not sure , Oil based topicals seems to have the best effect against it though.

@ CloMartin_94 if you are in the UK, i believe Dupixent is available for your country, its a recently approved Monoclonal antibody for eczema specifically, Its also extremely expensive though, but i dont know how your NHS covers this medication. In the uSA, its about 37k/year(USD). ITS ONly used for severe and chronically moderate individuals though. Unfortunately people in the USA have to fight tooth and nail with thier insurance to even cover them, and its not widely available to most people the USA because of the immense cost.

6 posts