Bathing

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
elites89

by elites89 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Bathing

Is it better to shower less, daily, etc. My mom has mentioned to me numerous times that it's best to not take showers because showering alot will take away the natural oils in our bodies. My thing is when I wake up in the morning feeling all dry and what not I take a shower and feel a little relieved right after :D lol I just want to know everyone's opinion on this matter thanks :oops:

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:30 am

Re: Bathing

Hi! Your mom is right - showering does strip the natural oil from skin. The analogy is often that of a brick wall, where the skin cells are the bricks and the fats/ ceramides are the cement. Repeated showering, rubbing hard is weakening the skin barrier. I'd think showering twice is ok, and the most important thing is to immediately moisturize after shower to seal the moisture and prevent moisture loss. No hot water, no more than 10 minutes.

Take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

elites89

by elites89 on Mon May 02, 2016 8:34 pm

okay thanks i will keep in mind :D

Voodoohwy

by Voodoohwy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 am

Ihave lived with eczema for 46 years and most of my life it has been awful. A few tricks I do is to, take a bath on sunday with 1/4 cup of bleach in my water, it really gets all your dead skin off. Then I jump in the shower and exfoliate using a soft cloth and Redken all soft shampoo. When I get out I stay in the room for a while and use my cortisone and then hang out until my body acclimates to the room temp.As the week goes I take a shower when I need to and do the bath as needed. Everyones going to be different but this has totally ended that feeling you get in the morning.

4 posts