Pep talk needed for young (ish!) sufferer

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

9 posts
xsayrahx

by xsayrahx on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Pep talk needed for young (ish!) sufferer

Hiya, I was just wondering if there was any other 20 somethings out there struggling with any mental repercussions? I've had a severe case of eczema for almost 4 years and am definitely noticing its taken a toll.

Other than the symptoms themselves, I find the social stigmas quite difficult to handle, especially among people my own age. Silly things, like feeling unable to wear things for fear of judgement; or the assumption that its only an aesthetic disease. If there's anyone with any positive words of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated!

jamielee

by jamielee on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 am

Re: Pep talk needed for young (ish!) sufferer

Hopefully you have a loved ones or a close friend that can support you. That can make a world of difference.

While trying to figure out how to manage your ezcema, don't forget about the rest of your life. Learn to be a fabulous cook or expert chess player. Juggle. Play piano.

You don't have to be the "girl" (or "boy") with eczema. You can be the girl who is an amazing software programmer. Or the girl who loves volunteering for senior citizens. Or the that girl who deadlifts 300 pounds.

Of course there are idiots, but there will be plenty of people who recognize you for who you are beyond your skin.

Good luck!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:09 am

Love your sharing! Yes, we can choose how we see ourselves :)
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

justdanni

by justdanni on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes! I know exactly what you mean, I am 21 and I've had eczema since I was a wee baby. During my early teens I became very anxious and I felt like a monster because while I constantly had eczema all over my body, the girls around me had perfectly clear skin - something we have to work day and night to achieve. It is very damaging and can have quite a terrible effect on our self esteem and mental health, it made me believe I was hideous. I was very depressed and alienated, and I also couldn't handle being around people my own age. It took a very long time for me to realize that beauty isnt skin deep.

When we look at ourselves, we only look at the eczema. We don't think about how the people around us don't lock onto the dry red patches, but look at our features instead. They look at our eyes and our smiles, our noses, the shape of our faces and our hair - they look at the places that aren't affected by the disease, and that changes our whole appearance. There is so much more to you than your eczema.

I found that letting our skin breathe helps a lot, I never used to wear shorts and ALWAYS wore long sleeve shirts to hide my eczema like I was ashamed of it because I didn't want people to judge me, but I decided to let my skin breathe and some of my symptoms eased up.

justdanni

by justdanni on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes! I know exactly what you mean, I am 21 and I've had eczema since I was a wee baby. During my early teens I became very anxious and I felt like a monster because while I constantly had eczema all over my body, the girls around me had perfectly clear skin - something we have to work day and night to achieve. It is very damaging and can have quite a terrible effect on our self esteem and mental health, it made me believe I was hideous. I was very depressed and alienated, and I also couldn't handle being around people my own age. It took a very long time for me to realize that beauty isnt skin deep.

When we look at ourselves, we only look at the eczema. We don't think about how the people around us don't lock onto the dry red patches, but look at our features instead. They look at our eyes and our smiles, our noses, the shape of our faces and our hair - they look at the places that aren't affected by the disease, and that changes our whole appearance. There is so much more to you than your eczema.

I found that letting our skin breathe helps a lot, I never used to wear shorts and ALWAYS wore long sleeve shirts to hide my eczema like I was ashamed of it because I didn't want people to judge me, but I decided to let my skin breathe and some of my symptoms eased up.

dejanaleo

by dejanaleo on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:07 pm

HI i’m in my midteens- 15, and i’ve been suffering from eczema since i was 2 months old. it has always been bad in my opinion but as i’m getting older and older, i feel as if more people judge me because of it more and i become more self conscious. i’ve had enough of it, i literally sit in bed biting on my hands i’ve tried every single cream possible and nothing works. i’ve had such strong steroids at a young age that my skin on my hands have completely thinned out and they’re not prescribing me anymore. all they tell me to do is keep creaming it don’t let your skin get dry!!! how?? im at school most of the day i have work to do i cant keep going around creaming my hands whenever i feel like it. I literally sit in the toilets for 30 mins during my lunch break just creaming my hands. I feel like there’s no way out of this trap and i just wanted to ask if anybody’s had a cream they’ve used that’s heloed or any tips that’s helped them? I’ve tried going vegan and gluten free and everything possible. I wasn’t using any shower gel for 3 months just cream and one bar of soap just to see if it would help. I’ve also tried epsom salts in the bath. somebody help me out here please ?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 am

So sorry to hear of the skin thinning.. soap is not advisable for those with sensitive/ eczema skin, hypoallergenic non-soap and non-fragrance cleanser will be more suitable. If it's the hands.. have you tried Tubifast gloves? Can trap moisture in better.. or see a dermatologist and consider non-steroid cream like Protopic or Elidel? Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

dejanaleo

by dejanaleo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 pm

hey, thanks for replying no i’ve never actually heard of tubifast gloves i usually use pure cotton gloves& i’ve already tries protopic but i’m not too sure about the second one. I’ve been using collidial silver spray for the past month and no luck just seems to dry out my skin even more.

MellyMel

by MellyMel on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 am

dejanaleo wrote:HI i’m in my midteens- 15, and i’ve been suffering from eczema since i was 2 months old. it has always been bad in my opinion but as i’m getting older and older, i feel as if more people judge me because of it more and i become more self conscious. i’ve had enough of it, i literally sit in bed biting on my hands i’ve tried every single cream possible and nothing works. i’ve had such strong steroids at a young age that my skin on my hands have completely thinned out and they’re not prescribing me anymore. all they tell me to do is keep creaming it don’t let your skin get dry!!! how?? im at school most of the day i have work to do i cant keep going around creaming my hands whenever i feel like it. I literally sit in the toilets for 30 mins during my lunch break just creaming my hands. I feel like there’s no way out of this trap and i just wanted to ask if anybody’s had a cream they’ve used that’s heloed or any tips that’s helped them? I’ve tried going vegan and gluten free and everything possible. I wasn’t using any shower gel for 3 months just cream and one bar of soap just to see if it would help. I’ve also tried epsom salts in the bath. somebody help me out here please ?
Have you been allergy tested? I know for me personally I react very badly to dairy...I went gluten free and vegan and it took 6 months of diligent effort to see a difference (and its not even gone, just a bit more manageable). I go to work and I have bad eczema on my hands currently and it sucks people looking and feeling like you are being judged.

Don't use soap on your skin, I use Cetaphil and it has made a huge difference. Hope you feel better soon, feel free to message me for support :)

9 posts