Anti-Itch pills?

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
bethany.cherry

by bethany.cherry on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 am

Anti-Itch pills?

Hi,

I'm a sister without eczema, however my brother suffers from severe eczema. He has scars all over his entire body and he will scratch until he is bleeding. He can't stop. It's escalated by his mental health (he has bipolar disorder). I know that the eczema is escalated in part due to his coping behaviors. When he gets frustrated or has mental health breakdowns, he scratches endlessly without being able to stop and it hurts himself. I want to help but feel so useless. He has topical medications, but he is unmotivated to use them consistently. Does anyone know of any pills that can be taken to take away the itch? Would antibiotics be helpful?

Any help is appreciated!

-B

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 am

Re: Anti-Itch pills?

Sorry to hear of your brother's eczema, B. Unfortunately, not aware of any pill and antibiotics wouldn't help eczema. Anyway he can seek treatment at perhaps a hospital setting, where they would also have access to psychologist to offer assistance? Hope all get better soon, and scratching can lead to secondary infection, do watch out for signs such as pus, fever, lethargy and seek immediate help as secondary infection can escalate quickly, and sometimes serious, take care.
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

eczemahelp12345

by eczemahelp12345 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Antihistamines may help with the itching, if your planning to sleep i would use diphenhydramine or chloropheneramine. ALso ceterizine, lotaradine and fexofenadine available for 24hr use. it helps cut down on my itching alot, you will have take it consistently though. XYZAL(levoceterizine) is recently available as an OTC, however its still in its brand name form and its quite expensive.

Jenmo316

by Jenmo316 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear that about your brother, I used to scatch until I bleed too. Benedryl has an anti-itch gel that I really like that works pretty well during the day. Also white cotton gloves really helps with not breaking the skin as well as keeping my fingnails short.

4 posts