Eczema on eyes and around mouth.

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
DorothyP

by DorothyP on Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Eczema on eyes and around mouth.

I've had eczema since I was a baby.. It was really bad when I was young but for awhile during my teenage years it went down. I'm 22 now but recently my lips and around my mouth have been super itchy. they would always get red and uncontrollably itchy. Then they would get super dry and flake. I would have another flare up and it would repeat it all over again, almost everyday even if i kept my lips clean and didn't use anything on them. I can never wear anything on my lips otherwise it flares up. After itching them they would get tiny cuts around my lips because they're so dry. Also, the skin under my eyebrows have been super itchy as well lately. Now they're always red and dry. I cant figure out why this is happening or why its getting worse and not going away. I haven't changed anything in my routine recently so I cant figure it out. Maybe its because I'm getting older? I do use makeup products but I've been using the same ones for years. This is quite embarrassing for me because its on my face and i have severely dry red skin around my mouth and eyes. so I'm hoping to get some advice if anyone has went through this or knows more knowledge on what to do! My doctor wasn't any help with any of these problems. :(

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:26 am

Re: Eczema on eyes and around mouth.

Hi

Can't help specifically, but below is an interview with a derm on various types of eczema, I'm just thinking if it's another type, then maybe warrant another treatment cream?

Facial eczema. This happens in individuals with eczema and facial eczema is more common in infants.

Perioral dermatitis consists of groups of itchy or tender small red papules (bumps) which appear most often around the mouth. They spare the skin bordering the lips but develop on the sides of the chin, then spreading to include upper lip and cheeks. The surrounding skin may be pink, and the skin surface often becomes dry and flaky. Perioral dermatitis can be caused by the overuse of steroid creams, moisturizers, make-up and sunscreen. It is important to see your doctor as a course of oral antibiotics is needed.

Cheilitis is inflammation of the lips. It can cause deeps cracks at the sides of the lips which can be painful. There are many causes of cheilitis and they include: eczematous cheilitis, contact cheilitis (reaction to substances like make-up etc), medications and nutritional deficiencies. Allergic contact cheilitis is allergic contact dermatitis affecting the lips. It is an immune reaction of the body towards a substance to which the individual is allergic. Lip cosmetics, toothpaste, medication and dental materials are the most common cause of allergic contact cheilitis.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

ckbridgett

by ckbridgett on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 am

It certainly sounds as if you have atopic eczema and it can affect the skin around the mouth and the over the lips, as well as the skin around the eyes. Could you post a picture - just of the eczema? At http://www.atopicskindisease.com we have recently written an article on lip eczema. See http://www.atopicskindisease.com/articles/Lips
I hope that helps!
Dr Christopher Bridgett
Consultant Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... idgett.php

laura010391

by laura010391 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 pm

I actually cannot believe im reading this! I am in the exact same position. I've suffered with it on and off for my whole life. Im 22 too and was clear for quite a while until around October last year, when I had an outbreak I cannot seem to get rid of. Im constantly going back to the doctors just to be palmed off with yet another cream that doesn't even work. And although its not severe, its difficult to cover with makeup as it goes dry, itchy and flaky and im so paranoid about it, it holds me back from big time.

If you or anyone else does find a cure of some sort for it then please let me know. I would happily pay £1000's or have any surgery to be rid of it. Its ruining my life!

RosyHannah

by RosyHannah on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Laura,

Sorry to hear you are finding it difficult to find a treatment to help right now. I am afraid that I can't help you personally but I did not want to read and not offer support. I know how hard it can be to try to get doctors to understand how important this is for your quality of life, do persist though. As long as creams etc are not working you are still in need of treatment.

I hope some of our wonderful forum users can help when they read your post. In the meantime I have sent you links to our blog and information pages just in case there is further information which may help you.

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... ns/eczema/
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/talkeczema/

Keep in touch,

Rosy

PensiveScholar

by PensiveScholar on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 am

The first thing I would suggest is to take a step back, and to think about anything in your life that has changed:
- work
- relationships
- stress
- dietary habits

Maybe you have started the habit of drinking coffee or alcohol? These can be aggravators for the skin. Or maybe there's been some stressful events, such as personal things or exams?

Let us know if any of these resonate with you and could be the reason behind your inflamed skin.

a.morganxx

by a.morganxx on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:22 am

I used to have really bad eczema around my mouth and on my eyelids. I recently started using a cream from 'The Body Shop' called HEMP FACE PROTECTOR. This cream has worked miracles and after regularly using it for about a week, it cleared everything right up. I highly recommend trying it for you because it worked so well for me.
Good luck with everything!!!!
:D

DebbieTaylor

by DebbieTaylor on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:23 am

I have really bad eczema on my hands and was running out of ideas to help it. I used hydrocortisone all my life and decided to try foderma serum out. It's been amazing so far! I've been using it for about 3 weeks and my hands have cleared up so so much. Just make sure to use it regularly and you'll be fine!

SaritaBasnet

by SaritaBasnet on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 am

As I've aged I've noticed that the skin around my eyes has become increasingly sensitive during the dry winter months. This winter that dry skin turned into itchy, flaky eczema, leaving irritated red patches around my eyes. I purchased foderma serum based on other sites reviews and was not at all disappointed. I apply it 2-3 times a day (after getting out of the shower, after washing my face in the evening, and sometimes again before bed). Foderma serum soothed the itchy skin around my eyes within about a day and within a week or so I began to notice the irritation and redness around my eyes improving. Because I'm just using it around my eyes I expect that this bottle will last a long time.

Gloria455

by Gloria455 on Mon May 24, 2021 7:42 pm

My 18 month old has pretty bad eczema. I’ve tried 4 or 5 different OTC creams & oatmeal baths.. NOTHING worked. For weeks I’ve been trying. Foderma Eczema Serum is after ONE use. I put it on her before bed and this is how she was this morning! I can’t believe it and would recommend this eczema serum to anyone!

10 posts