New to Simvustatin

Do you have high cholesterol or are concerned about your cholesterol levels? Ask our experts your questions now.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Makem Bill

by Makem Bill on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 am

New to Simvustatin

Hi. I have recently been started on 40 Simvustatin (in the last month) for my 5.1 cholesterol (here is a history of heart disease with father and mother and maternal uncle) and have started getting cramp like pains in the back of my leg above the knee area and also in the upper arm, right side. I also feel a strong pulse in the leg alongside the cramp. Are these potential side effects of the statin?
Also I have noticed, under three finger nails, a few fine black lines which I thought were splinters but as I have not been working with wood or felt pain from them, obviously are caused by something else. Might this be another side effect?
Generally, I am overweight and addressing this issue, have a BP (with 5mg of Ramipril) of 138/90 which was recorded this morning, manually.

Dr Dermot Neely

by Dr Dermot Neely on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: New to Simvustatin

Muscle pain or weakness are recognised as potential side effects of statins. Although there may be other explanations for your muscle symptoms, the new onset of cramp like pains within a month of starting treatment suggests that the statin may be responsible. Such symptoms are not uncommon during the first few weeks of treatment and if they are not severe it would be reasonable to continue as the symptoms may clear up, but if they persist or become more severe you should interrupt your simvastatin treatment and consult your GP. It may be necessary for him to give you a break from treatment to allow the symptoms to resolve before considering restarting at a lower dose or with an alternative statin. The other symptoms you mention are not typical side effects of statins.
Dr Dermot Neely
Consultant in Clinical Biochemistry and Metabolic Medicine

Makem Bill

by Makem Bill on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: New to Simvustatin

Thanks for that Dr Neely. I appreciate your response and will see how things develop over the next couple of weeks or so.

Much obliged,

Makem Bill

3 posts