Testing

Do you have high cholesterol or are concerned about your cholesterol levels? Ask our experts your questions now.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
louise45

by louise45 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Testing

I have never had my cholesterol level tested - should I? I am 45 and never had any weight issues - but I don't think it has anything to do with that?.... but feel that it should be something I should do - although my GP has never mentioned it.

Nurse Tina Dawson

by Nurse Tina Dawson on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Testing

Hi Louise,

We would always recommend finding out what your cholesterol level is, especially if there is a history of early cardiovascular disease or raised cholesterol in your family. You can now get an NHS health check at your GP surgery. These are offered to people over the age of 40, and as well measuring your cholesterol level, it also checks other risk factors for cardiovascular disease such as blood pressure and blood glucose. Cholesterol testing is also available at some pharmacies and supermarkets as a pin prick test but we would recommend having a blood test (from a vein) at your GP surgery as this is more accurate, giving you a break down of good and bad cholesterol, and the opportunity to discuss the results with your doctor.
Nurse Tina Dawson
Nurse Project Manager for HEART UK

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Testing

Hi Louise

Agree with Tina's comments. Cholesterol testing should be offered at your GP practice as part of the NHS Health Check. If not, I would discuss this with your GP. A blood test to confirm your cholesterol level after an overnight fast is more accurate and will reflect your levels with greater accuracy then spot tests undertaken at your local Pharmacy or Supermarket. You have to pay for these services as well.

Regards

Dr Haq
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

3 posts