4ft 7 tall, 12st12 weight and bmi 41.48

If you have general questions about weight that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Dr James Thompson

by Dr James Thompson on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: 4ft 7 tall, 12st12 weight and bmi 41.48

Hello Mrs. Smith,

Thanks for getting in touch!

There are a number of simple approaches that when used in conjunction with each other, should bring around noticeable improvements in your weight.

I would not be looking for "fast" weight loss, as the methods used to see this sort of change are often unsustainable. This is predominantly because they require significant sacrifice or unpleasant regimes that you are simply unwilling to continue for any length of time.

You mention that you are disabled, which may well certainly impact on the type of exercise that you can do but it will still be absolutely possible to exercise.

Regarding your dislocating knees? Do mean patellar dislocation or actual knee dislocation? There are specific physio and strengthening exercises available for patellar dislocation (aka maltracking patellar disorder) and if this doesn't work there are surgical solutions.

In light of this I would suggest following these simple steps for your diet and exercise:

1) Portion size - an easy and sustainable change to your eating habits. By shrinking the size of your meals you are instantly reducing your calorie intake.
2) Meal frequency - smaller regular meals will ensure that your metabolic rate does not dip. Keeping your metabolic rate high ensures that the calories you eat are dealt with more efficiently and less is therefore deposited as fat.
3) Exercise - this may be a tricky one for you but any activity that increases your heart rate is exercise. This may be simple things like walking a dog or walking when you once drove somewhere. You mention that you don't want to join clubs? Does this include gyms? If so personal trainers might be an option for you and they can tailor an exercise plan to your abilities. The more exercise you do, the more calories you burn and better you will feel. Start small and build.
4) Alcohol - you didn't mention whether you drink alcohol or not but there are a LOT of calories in alcoholic drinks. Reduce your drinking over the longterm and you are likely to see sustainable results.
5)Snacking - if you are guilty of enjoying regular high calorie snacks, try swapping them for a handful of nuts or a piece of fresh fruit. These healthier options will keep your metabolism going but won't be as calorie rich.

Best of luck

Dr James Thompson
www.askdocjames.com
Dr James Thompson

Denise Kennedy

by Denise Kennedy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Mrs Smith,

I completely agree with Dr James that you need to aim to lose weight slowly - this is much healthier and more sustainable. It is about re-educating yourself for the longer term rather than being "on a diet" per se. And to do this you will have to cut the calories - but you can be clever about how you do this.

If I have one word of advice it is VEGETABLES!!! Use these miracle superfoods to help create low calorie, but tasty food that you will enjoy and will help you to not be hungry! At your meals make at least half of your plate vegetables - either on their own or by adding them to other foods. For example, a healthy Shepherds Pie can contain lots of onions, sweet peppers, carrots, tomatoes or any other favourites, as well as some lean mince and potato. I also mix shredded cabbage or leeks into the mashed potato to bulk it up more. Add lots of flavour with herbs and spices. Low calorie vegetable soups are also a favourite of mine - but make sure you don't add oil as this adds lots of unnecessary calories.

The Hairy Dieters book (How to love food and lose weight) has some lovely recipes in and is in the shops now. This might give you some ideas on how to add veg.

And as Dr James said - MOVE more. Any activity, within your capabilities, and just do more of it. Try to work out what you Can do rather than what you can't do.

Best of luck. Denise
Denise Kennedy
Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Hello
Any diets that suggest they are quick fixes to encouraging weight loss are the ones that are so limiting that we cant put up with them for long and we give up and go back to what we were eating before.
Cutting calories is the way to go but it doesnt need to feel like you will be hungry all the time or be bored with food. Making foods more interesting by adding different flavours and textures and trying some new meals or different recipes of old favourites to cut the calories but increase enjoyment of the meal. I agree that the hairy bikers recipes are excellent and have made a few myself over the last few weeks and have enjoyed all the ones we have tried.
Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

4 posts