Ostio Arthritus need weight loss with exercise

If you have general questions about weight that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
strawberry

by strawberry on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Ostio Arthritus need weight loss with exercise

Hi

I am struggling to get information on this, I have OstioArthritus of the hip,
I have done a BMI check and it is 27.11 over weight.

Please tell me how I can loose weight when I have restrictions in movement, I can swim the Breast Stroke but have been told do not do, I cannot do the crawl and if I could it would be a problem as I have a Pacemaker and I suffer from Sciatica.

I was and looking for some help on this I am doing excersies in the home but this will not be enough to lose weight
When I was younger I played Squash Tennis and worked out alot in the Gym, so now I have no idea where to start now.

I have restrictions in leg movement walking too much hurts, my back goes into a knot which affects me bending down and doing most things easily, but then I have good days and I feel normal again

Can you please tell me can I do Breast stoke in swimming ?

What other things can I do in the Gym the Treadmill jogging fast walking HELP Me please ?????

Thank you

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: Ostio Arthritus need weight loss with exercise

Hi Strawberry,

It sounds as though swimming is a problem for you - which is a shame as if you could manage it, it is an excellent form of exercise for people with arthritis, as the water supports your weight; this means there is less strain on the joints. The Breast stroke isn't recommended for people with arthritis in the neck, hips, or knees, but I'm not sure how it would affect your pacemaker or your sciatica. I suggest you check this out with your GP.

You say walking too much hurts - but perhaps you could manage three 10 minute walks a day? Also perhaps you could try doing a few gentle stretching exercises, or some chair exercises - I suggest you take a look at the exercises posted here: http://www.livewellagewell.info/study/2 ... 113006.pdf

Bear in mind too that losing weight is not just about exercise - although it does play a vital part; you also need to watch what, and how much you eat. I suggest cutting out refined and sugary carbs and focussing instead on low fat proteins like chicken, turkey, lean meat and fish, as well as fruit, vegetables, and small amounts of wholegrain carbs, such as wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta, and brown rice. Also include low fat dairy products like milk, yogurt and cheese and a few nuts or a handful of seeds daily.

I hope these tips help you.

Good luck :D

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Dr James Thompson

by Dr James Thompson on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Ostio Arthritus need weight loss with exercise

Hi there,

Osteoarthritis obviously can be a painful problem and because of the pain it can impact on other parts of your body, especially your back.

The key to exercise is that it is done in some form as exercise will improve your cardiovascular health, improve your metabolism, burn calories and strengthen the structures that support your joints.

There is a good website here that gives you plenty of information on exercising with arthritis http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... ritis.aspx

If you are unable to breaststroke, have you considered aquaerobics? It is a helpful form of aerobics for people with arthritis as it supports the joints.

In the gym you could consider the cross trainer as this is easier on your joints than running and also doing strength or resistance weight exercises, the lifting of the weights will strengthen your muscles and the ligaments surrounding your joints and also will raise your heart rate.

Good luck

Dr James Thompson
http://www.askdocjames.com
Dr James Thompson

3 posts