non weight loss

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
kimmie40

by kimmie40 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 pm

non weight loss

hi
i have been going to the gym for 3 weeks, 2 hours a day for 4-5 days a week, i dont eat fattie foods, like cakes etc, and i stopped drinking , my weight has no shifted at all i weighed 12 stone 8, then and today the instructor weighed me and i was exactley the same, i eat healthy so why has my weight stayed the same, it is not muscle toneing that im doing its a plan im following to lose weight and tone?, i do take levothyroxine 25mg, bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg, felodipine 2.5mg,and irbesartan 75mg, do you think these tablets have anything to do with non weight loss as im so down about it x :roll:

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: non weight loss

Hi Kimmie40,

Well done for sticking to your exercise regime. Also, well done for stopping drinking and avoiding fatty foods and cakes etc. :D

You could try cutting your portion sizes - an easy way to do this is to use a smaller plate. Also, fill up on low-fat protein foods e.g. chicken or turkey without the skin, fish, lean meat and eggs. Eat wholegrains such as wholemeal bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta and porridge. Also, fill up on lots of fruit and vegetables.

I notice that you take medication for high blood pressure and a diuretic, which could be for high blood pressure or water retention, as well as thyroxine for hypothyroidism. If you suffer from water retention it could be that your lack of weight loss is connected to that. Another possibility is that 25mg of thyroxine is insufficent - this would also make it difficult for you to lose weight; if your healthy eating and exercise regime don't result in weight loss within another couple of weeks I suggest you ask your GP to check that you have been prescribed the corrects doses of diuretics and thyroxine; quite often people with hypothyroidism have to have their does increased until the correct level is achieved.

Also, the best way to lose weight is to make small changes that you can stick to in the long-term, rather than follow an extreme diet or exercise regime that you soon tire of and give up on. The former approach will help you to lose weight slowly and steadily - and keep it off.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Kimmie

It's may be too early to see any changes, as whatever exercise programme you are doing you will tone up and potentially build some muscle tissue. You may well have lost some fat, but laid down some muscle at the same time. Muscle weighs more than fat, which might explain why you have yet to see any results so far. I would ask your instructor to review your programme and request a weight loss / calorie burning programme. This should essentially be composed of low intensity exercise for long periods such as walking or running on a treadmill, using a cross trainer or rowing machine.

I would also recommend your thyroid function be checked. Ideally, your TSH level should be around the 1-2 mU/L mark. This would suggest your thyroid treatment is then optimal for you.

Best wishes
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

ukulele43

by ukulele43 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 pm

I have just started to cut down, as I can't believe how heavy I am. I have been on this for 1 week and got on the scales yesterday and had put on 3lbs. I'm so disheartened. I have been keeping a count of my calories and I have been under the quota quite a bit, would this make a difference? Thanks

Grant990

by Grant990 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi, I am contacting you in order to get some advice on losing weight. I am 5ft 1 and 9st 4lbs. I would like to lose 1 stone. I have tried doing this using various methods such a lots of exercise and eating healthy Nothing makes any difference I have tried structured diets and recommended calorie intake nothing makes any difference.I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and I have a wheat intolerance so I don't eat cakes, pizza etc and I don't drink. I don't eat wheat free options of the fattening foods. I have not lost an ounce Do u have any advice for me?

5 posts