Weight loss at a standstill

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Weight loss at a standstill

Hi there,I have lost 7 1/2 stone over the last two years through sensible eating with calorie counting.I gradually introduced excercise too.I still have 2 1/2stone to lose but it is proving difficult.I am eating 1,500 calories a day currently and I walk for an hour a day and also go to the gym three times a week.I just can't seem to get below my current weight despite all this.I am an apple shape and weight just clings to my stomach. Where am I going wrong?.Thanks for your help.

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Re: Weight loss at a standstill

Hi Jenny1

The first thing to say is that you have done incredibly well and must give yourself credit for that. I dont know what your inital weight was, but it sounds like you have lost 25% plus of your body weight through sheer determination and effort. Even 10% weight loss offers great benefits in terms of health and life expectancy.

The second thing to say is that reaching a plateau in weight loss is completely normal (though of course frustrating). It suggests your body is getting nervous about the extent of weight loss and is asking to stabilise for a while. Your main task at the moment is to maintain the weight loss and let your body get used to it for a while. Some people do need to keep up a low cal diet and high activity levels to manage their weight. One of our dietitians may be able to give you some specific advice about tweaking your diet, but I think your best friends now will be patience and perserverance. Weight management is a life-long job and you can be confident you have the skills.

Good luck.
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

Denise Kennedy

by Denise Kennedy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Jenny1 - WOW - how well have you done!! What you have acheived is fantastic and you should be incredibly proud of yourself.

From your post I don't know what weight you are now, or what you BMI is. Often people who have been quite overweight find it really hard to achieve or maintain a BMI in what we call the "healthy" range (i.e. 18.5 - 25), so you need to be aiming to achieve what is sensible for you and what you feel that you can maintain. As Jenny said, your biggest challenge is keeping the weight off that you have lost.

You say you are sticking to 1500kcals - sometimes our portions creep up in size so just double check that this hasn't happened to you. Also make sure that you take your calories as nutrient rich foods - wholewheat carbs, fruit and veg, lean meat/fish, pulses and low fat dairy. Try not to use up your calorie allowance in less healthy food.

Without knowing how old you are or your current weight it is hard to know if your current calorie allowance is right. You could try pushing it down a notch (say to 1400kcals per day) and seeing if you can push your exercise up a little bit more. For example, can you walk a little bit faster? Try to make sure when you exercise you get hot and sweaty and a bit breathless. These two things may just slightly push that energy balance see-saw in the direction that you want to go.

Good Luck.
Denise Kennedy
Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions.I am 34 and 5ft 4 inches tallI was 20 stone 10 pounds and had a BMI of 49 when I started out.I am now 13 stone 2 and have a BMI of 31.6.I use a calorie counter and my allowance is 1471 calories at present.I am vegetarian and not a coeliac but find eating gluten free has helped me reduce bloating.

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Jenny

You've done fantastically well so far. As my colleagues have suggested, I would reduce your calorie intake to 1300-1400 and try to make your exercise a little bit more intense or last longer. I'm sure this will have the desired results that you're looking for. Keep setting yourself small realistic targets in the short term and in time this will add up to a more successful outcome.

Best of luck.
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

mark

by mark on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 am

echoing the previous replies you have done very well and should be very proud!

Looking to reduce stress may help and getting to sleep before 10.30 along with drinking only water. Reducing the amount of tea, coffee or any fizzy drinks to none gradually. Look to eat "life foods" not foods that have been packaged for a long time. "life foods" have better nutritional value as they are fresh and alive bursting with life!! providing you with more nutrents, this will prove less stressful for your body.

Have you thought of having a personal trainer as an option help help you? It may be that they could do blood lactate test to help accurately programme your exercise intensity. This tends to be the gold standard for programming these days previously thought to be heart rates.

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep up the good work!!
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

6 posts