calorie intake for men

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lef47100

by lef47100 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 pm

calorie intake for men

hi, my name is lee and at the moment i weigh 17st 6lbs and 6ft 1 in height, i have been dieting for the last year and i have lost just over 2 stone in that time. but i am unsure as to what amount of calories i can consume per day. i have used several calorie counter apps but they all give different calorie amounts, i try to follow a healthy diet but is not always possible as it can be expensive to live healthy nowadays and i live to a very strict budget as i dont earn that much. so if you could let me know the amount of calories i can consume per day i would be most greatful. thank you :D

Dr James Thompson

by Dr James Thompson on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: calorie intake for men

Hi Lee,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Although calories are an easy thing to concentrate on, it is difficult to quantify exactly how many calories you need as there are a lot of factors that impact on the number.

I would personally suggest that you follow a few simple rules for weight loss:

-manage portion size - if you reduce your portion size you will immediately be reducing the number of calories you consume. If you reduce the size of your portions, your healthy food will also go longer and will become more economical for your budget. Portion control is also one of the easiest dieting methods that you can maintain.
-eat frequently - eating regular small meals will maintain your metabolic rate, which means that your body deals with the calories more efficiently.
-exercise - an extremely valuable way of burning calories. If you are able to exercise and bulk up your lean mass (muscles) your metabolic rate will rise and you potentially could lose fat by doing this.
-alcohol - a source of a crazy amount of calories - reduce your consumption and it is likely that you'll see results. http://www.askdocjames.com/useful-tools ... alculator/

Good luck in achieving your weight loss goals.

Dr James Thompson
www.askdocjames.com
Dr James Thompson

2 posts