Food intolerance link to Chronic Fatigue (ME)?

If you have or suspect you have a food allergy, whether it's an allergy to dairy, wheat, fish, shellfish, nuts or something else, ask our medical experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Craftieka

by Craftieka on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 am

Food intolerance link to Chronic Fatigue (ME)?

Is there any scientific evidence to suggest that if someone has food intolerance it could lead to Chronic fatigue (ME)? My son has both these conditions and for some reason I feel there is a link between diet and Chronic Fatigue. If intolerance lowers your immune system by your body fighting the food could this be the case?

Another query is can food intolerance be a genetic problem so siblings may also have this problem. My daughter could also be showing signs of this, and is puberty a trigger?

Its very easy to make every small concidence into something larger but my instincts still think that there is a link. Please could someone clarify.

Thank you

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Food intolerance link to Chronic Fatigue (ME)?

Food intolerance is a very broad area - lactose intolerance is common (effect 5-15% of the UK population) and has a very clear genetic basis but would only cause symptoms of diarrhoea, bloating, abdominal pain not lethargy or ME. The link between ME and food intolerance is contentious and there is as yet no clear evidence that dietary manipulation could help. However, chronic lethargy can be due to chronic gut problems where food may play a role and likewise some IBS does respond to wheat exclusion or other diets (eg FODMAP). Your best best is to try and see a doctor or dietician with experience int he area and get probably assessed as trying to take major food groups out of one's own diet can be very problematic.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts