Chemical, dust mite and mould allergy

If you have questions about treatments for environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
happydays

by happydays on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Chemical, dust mite and mould allergy

Hi
I have severe allergic rhinitis to dust, mould and chemicals. These are so hard to avoid. I do all I can to protect myself- anti allergy bedding, blinds, no pets,natural cleaning products etc. But still suffer.
Can you recommend anything?
Can you give any advice?
Thanks

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: Chemical, dust mite and mould allergy

Standard treatment for moderate to severe allergic rhinitis is a daily intranasal steroid spray and daily non-sedating antihistamine. Many of these can be bought over the counter. If you are already taking those regularly and are still very symptomatic then it would be worthwhile asking your GP to refer you to an Allergist who can confirm your allergies by skin prick testing or specific IgE blood testing. There are other prescribable medical treatments for symptom control for allergic rhinitis. Additionally house dust mite and mould allergy can be treated with immunotherapy if your allergic rhinitis symptoms are still affecting your Quality of Life despite maximum medical therapy.

Best wishes,

Dr Helen Brough
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

2 posts