What am I allergic to

If you have questions about treatments for environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
LindaR

by LindaR on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 pm

What am I allergic to

For about three years now I get what seems like hey fever but it is in the winter months when there is no pollen. I get a very runny nose, itchy tongue and extremely itchy ears. I have seen my doctor who just said it was rhinitis and to take anti allergy tablets but they don't always stop this. Rather than treat the effects, I would rather find out what it is so I can avoid it. I have bought a new bed, bedding, mattress, etc. also I have stayed at my sisters house on her new bed and I still have the same symptoms.

happydays

by happydays on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:52 am

Re: What am I allergic to

Hi
It sounds like could be allergic rhinitis if it is in winter too.
I have this and suffer regularly with all those symptoms and been trying to manage them for years.
What bedding did you get? I have all anti allergy bedding (M&S) and blinds in the bedroom and do regular damp dusting and hoovering. All this if you do it regularly can help.
If you have been given medication always take it soon as you wake up so it can kick in. Nasal sprays are better than tablets.
You may also be allergic to certain things so I would ask the Dr if you can have some tests done if you are still suffering.
Hope this helps some. :)

LindaR

by LindaR on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:49 pm

I got anti allergy bedding from Dunelm Mill - pillow covers, mattress cover, anti allergy pillow. In the past four years I have had three days where I could hardly open my eyes as they were watering so much and my nose was streaming. Don't know why it was more severe on those days but thankfully those days are rare. I hadn't thought of dusting with a damp duster, I'll give it a go. I usually use one of those static dusters that are supposed to collect the dust. Thanks for your help.

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

unfortunately, without getting properly tested, you are just going to be guessing and risk making changes that won't help whilst your symptoms persist. As previously post, antihistamines (go for long acting, non sedating) and nasal spray can help.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

4 posts