Strange symptoms

If you are a carer of a child with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jenarran

by Jenarran on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Strange symptoms

My 2 yr old son has IgE reactions from Milk and eggs. He has always been on a dairy free diet. His symptoms when a tiny bit of processed milk enters his diet is Non IgE usually diahreah, rash and hyperactivity. With raw milk or eggs though his eyes and face swell when splashed with them. His reactions to both raw milk and eggs are 10+ on the skin prick test. Because of this he has never eaten raw milk or eggs. But a few nights ago some one gave him 1 tsp of mashed potato which had had raw milk stirred through it ( in error). He reacted by scratching at his mouth which is normal for him if he starts to eat an allergen. On this occaision though he might have swallowed the food. I gave him 2.5 mg of Anti Histamine and observed him but he seemed fine when the mouth settled.

The next morning my son couldnt walk properly , falling over and week in the legs which he is still like 3 days later. We have had a variety of tests at the hospital with negative results (x rays blood tests othorpedics). I wondered if his new leg problem could in anyway be related to him having consumed something he is really allergic to or whether this is a huge coincidence.

This may sound a bit crazy, I just need to ask this question to someone who understands allergies and rule out the possibility the two seperate events are connected. Thanks you for your time.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Strange symptoms

Dear Jenarran,

I think that your son's current symptoms of not walking properly, feeling weak in his legs is unlikely to be due to the accidental exposure to cow's milk.

Please see my response for IgE vs Non IgE mediated cow's milk allergy. Children can have both types of allergies to a food as your son has displayed previously.

One thing that I would like to mention is that children with delayed gastrointestinal (generally non IgE mediated) food allergy can have certain associated autonomic nervous symptoms: sweating, dark circles under the eyes, increased thirst etc. More information on this is still required. Research into this is being conducted at Great Ormond Street Hospital where the Paediatric Gastroenterology Team see a lot of this condition.

Best wishes,

Dr. Helen Brough
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

2 posts