Dairy Allergy In Children

Moderator: talkhealth

11 posts
AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Dairy Allergy In Children

Hi, I've been on this site before and am on the eczema site also. My daughter, nearly 2years old was re-tested again today, she still remains allergic to dairy. I'm gutted, I'd just love her to be able to eat what her brother and friends all eat. She's at Christmas party tomorrow, I won't be able to relax and she'll not be eating all the party food. Does anyone else have any tips or ideas as my daughtr is just becoming aware and wanting what her brother has. In January she will start pre school who will have to over see what she eats. Does anyone have any tips there also??

Tanks Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

alfieandme

by alfieandme on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Dairy Allergy In Children

Hi Anna,

I hope you do not mind me posting to you. I am quite new to this site and have seen your posts on eczema and allergy. I have a 16 month old who has persistant eczema and a million allergies! I am struggling a bit with having to deal with it all and I have found this site really nice, to read and know that there is help out there!!!

I am really sorry to hear about your daughter - and that she is still allergic to milk. I am afraid I cannot offer you any advice on how to deal with your daughter eating out, but as my son is in the same situation I wondered if I could be really cheeky and see how things are going for you?

I would really like to go back to work, but am too scared to leave him in a nursery and I seem to spend a lot of my time batch cooking for him, so he has foods to eat. Yesterday, he got hold of his sisters milk cup and had a swig and had quite a bad allergic reaction - this is exactly the thing that I am scared of happening at parties, get togethers and school.

Anyway, I hope that your daughter is enjoying her pre school - they grow up so fast, dont they?

Rebecca

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Hi Rebecca

It is great to be in touch with another Mum who understands. We are doing ok. I have gone back to good old tradtional cooking like my Mum used to do and found that we as a family can then all eat the same.

Pre school on her 1st week while I was there but only in the back groud had a helper in who offered Abigail milk at snack time and she said yes. Her key worker had been distracted by something else and now realises she cannot be. I have also put them in touch with Allergy UK who they have found very helpful with all the allergies they are dealing with. They made chocolate crispy cakes for Easter Abigail was only allowed to put the decoration on the top.

I tried buying allergy allert braclets but she will not keep them on. I'd say go and visit any child care settings and see what their systems are. A friend works at a school where the dairy allergy is that bad that those children wanting milk have to go to a seperate room for their drinks so it is a case of working with the setting and the staff.

I have found a few fast meals which are a life saver when coming in and the clock is against me. If any of my friends have Abigail, many are child minders I always put a full packet of biscuits in her bag then they can offer the same safe biscuits to all the children.

In case of her getting hold of dairy, pre school have her medication and the authority to use it. I always carry it. I know I can feed her from anywhere serving cooked food, but have even found some places willing to make fresh sandwiches up without butter.

I could go on and on but probably need to go and do some playing.

A top tip is write a full food list of foods your son cannot have and pin inside a cupboard. I have done this after being in hospital with my son in February. It has paid off already as I was held up at the hospital for 5 hours yesterday and my daugters eczema routines and food do's and don'ts were covered so I had piece of mind there.

Speak soon

Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

dawnella

by dawnella on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi, My daugher is 3 now and has loads of allergies, after 3 years we are getting used to it. Shes been in nursery for 18 months now and they have been brilliant, we had a good chat with them before she started and they have a chef who knows what she can and cant eat, the teachers keep a close eye on her to make sure she has the right things to eat too. I wrote a very clear list/allergy action plan when she started with details of all the food she can and cant eat, what her symptoms are and what to do etc. If you find the 'right' nursery that knows how to deal with allergies then you wont have many problems. As for parties i always provide her with her own party plate with food on so there is no chance of her eating food she shouldnt have. She has now started a school nursery too and i provide all her snacks and drinks there too. It is hard at first but eventually it does become second nature once you know what to do and when.
Dawn

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Thank you. I think she is the 1st dairy allergy sufferer her pre school has come across. The staff are learning with me. I just feel tired of never being able to relax, especially at a party. A funny moment and a sign she is learning was when we offered her some thick gravy and she said no, she said chocolate sauce would make her poorly, not bad for a 2 year old!
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

dawnella

by dawnella on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Yes they do soon learn what makes them ill, my daughter is 3 and very clued up on what she can and cant have, she always says no when offered food, after 3 years of being ill after reactions shes old enough to know herself how ill it makes her so knows what not to eat, She does still ask sometimes for things but always says first 'can i eat that or will it make me poorly' so they do learn very quickly as long as we keep teaching them.

SuzanneWood

by SuzanneWood on Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi,
Help is at hand, I've written a book on feeding children with Dairy Allergies/intolerances and we include party food and lunch box ideas, as well as lots of family meals. Infact, the book has over 100 recipes to help you ! The book is called : "Dairy-Free &/or Wheat-Free &/Soya-Free BUT Always Totally Nut-Free Family Cookbook." ISBN:0955667607. You'll find a review of the book on this website. Good Luck, my book will enable you to live a normal life again !

Happy Cooking !
Suzanne

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri May 15, 2009 1:21 pm

The frustration is not cooking meals at home but the fact that we cannot easily eat out. For example at hospital yesterday all I could buy were ready made sandwiches. My daughter ended up with a scone and jam. It is tough not being able to give her all the yummy treats her older brother has. I add 100's and 1000's to her yoghurts to make them more fun. In my head my fast process if we are out is if somewhere sells chips I can get something with chips like fish or meat, but a sandwich bar is a waste of time. In a couple of weeks we are meeting up for a family party at Pizza Express, I just hope they can make a pizza without cheese!!

At a local soft play centre I have asked about my daughters party and they are willing to make all the sandwiches to suit with Pure spread for all, and all the chocolate will be swopped for other sweet biscuits, plain crisps etc this has really lifted me.

I might start a seperate post of shops or chains which are or are not helpful.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

SuzanneWood

by SuzanneWood on Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Anna,

I understand where you are coming from I've been trying to buy Dairy-Free and Soya-Free food on the go for the last ten years ! Although the choice is getting better, more often than not, you do end up with fruit, ready salted crisps or a cereal bar if you are lucky. Ok for an adult, but not acceptable for kids. Anything ready-made seems to have butter,milk,cheese, milk chocolate, fromage frais or yoghurt slipped into it, along with quite a list of chemicals more often than not. So, I know it's hard to make the move to home-cooking everything, but at least you will know what you are eating, and who's prepared it ! It's the only real way !

I've found most of the hotel chains are now prepared to cook special diet meals.( For examples: Copthorne Hotels, Holiday Inn ) Sometimes, it says on their menu, other times you have to request it, but I am fed up of getting fruit salad for desert, you'd think they could at least offer sorbet for a change ! The serve seems to revert back to normal at Breakfast time, when you still have to take along your own Dairy-Free spread and choice of milk.

Marks and Spencer traditional Hot Crossed buns are always a good stand by, when you are hungary in the High Street (always double check the label ) but they have helped me out on many a sinky moment !

Dare I say the "Mac D" chain do have a list of ingredients for all their food sold which is usually kept under the counter or on their information board. You'll find you can get an Apple Pie here !

The other problem with eating out is knowing exactly what ingredients have been used to make a dish, many catering staff don't know what Dairy-Free is, so they'll add cheese,butter,or yoghurt to something without realising it contains dairy. " I thought Dairy was just Milk !" is usually their reply.

I think this subject has a long way to run !

Good Luck !

Suzanne

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi

Yes I have picked up a dietry sheet from Mac D. which lists everything.

Today I have also had a lovely helpful reply from Pizza Express which was really nice listing how they can amend everything and what they can make on site along with the few dishes they cannot alter.

Sainsbury's cafe did find it hard to get their heads round toast without butter!!! But since have managed to make a dry ham sandwich.

Something our dietician pointed out was on Alpro products if it has a TICK against Calcium it contains it. But if not listed just because it is a milk, yoghurt or cheese substitute does not mean it contains calcium.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

11 posts