Milk allergy advice needed please

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lazzareo

by lazzareo on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Milk allergy advice needed please

Hi,

My daughter was always a sicky baby when she was breast fed and when we eventually gave ger formula at about 6 months old she had this terrible reaction where she struggled to breathe and eventually threw up everywhere, the second time we tried her she had a worse reaction which scared the life out of us as at one point she couldn't breathe at all.

At this point we found out that she was allergic to milk and since then she has been on Pepti formula for the last 2 years and she's been fine as we have totally avoided all dairy products.

4 weeks ago our son was born and he is currently being breast fed and again he is turning out to be quite a sicky baby. The problem we have now is that we are terrified of trying him with formula milk in case he reacts the way my daughter did and we just don't know what to do. My wife can't breastfeed for much longer due to another medical reason so we have a dilemma.

Our health visitor is useless and really doesn't get the severity of the issue so I was hoping for some advice on two fronts: -

1. Is there any where that we can get professional allergy advice to help us with this dilemma?

2. What would you reccomend as a way forward. Do we try him with formula in small doses? Should we do this under doctor supervision, etc, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:16 am

Re: Milk allergy advice needed please

Dear Steve and your wife,

I am a mum of 2. My son age 4 was breastfed and a very sickly baby and was fine with dairy but was allergic to eggs. My daughter now aged 2 was breastfed and not as sickly, but on having one spoon of baby rice mixed with formula at 4 months was instantly allergic.

Did you go to your GP. You MUST seek medical advice, you need urgent tests with a peadiatrician. They take a full history and detailed account of exactly what happened. Then they carry out the skin prick tests which are fairly straight forward and not a problem. Then combined with the history they will grade the severity.

My son was allergic to the protien in the eggs if eaten alone, but the long baking process broke the protiens down so he could eat cake and biscuits. The reaction was delayed by 2 hours from eating scrammbled egg he went very red like he had crayoned his face and body. We had immediate medical attention and had Piriton prescribed once they were sure his air way was ok. They tested him each year and at age 3 he out grew it. But once the skin prick test showed clear he had to go into hospital to eat egg in controllled conditions.

My daugter on having the baby rice was instantly in pain, crying and was sick and her eczema flared up and more rashes came up. We knew her breathing was not affected and we gave her piriton, already prescribed for her eczema and went to the GP the next day. She was sent to the same peadiatrician as my son, so joint appointments!! So there are some friendly NHS departments. She was tested and the skin prick showed positive and again when re tested at xmas. But the history shows her breathing not involved.

From my understanding if the lips mouth or breathing are involved I think there is a need for an epi pen. You don't say you have had any medical help or appointments. I also had to stop for my own medical needs, so I too totally understand the personal pressure on you wife.

We were prescribed special formaula and both children were refered to a dietitian. You must and need all of this help.

I have now learnt how to feed my daughter when out from a public menu which was a massive step that I had to teach myself.

I'd like to offer a hand of friendship and support, I know how tough children babies and allergies are and how few people you will come across will understand. If you want to talk more my email is annajustine1@yahoo.co.uk

Good luck and get the help and support you and your family need.

Regards

Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

2 posts