Free From Food

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
reynia

by reynia on Fri May 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Free From Food

We have 2 wheat intolerance and a ceoliac in the family and have been struggling to buy food. In the end we started a blog (www.freefromfood.co.uk) about where people with food allergies can shop. We are looking for any suggestions for childrens food particularly for those (like us) that don't have time to cook from scratch every day.

We are also wondering about posting details of what food can be brought where (bread, pasta, ready meals etc) and which allergy groups that food is safe for. It would also include links to each supermarket or web shop but we don't know if this is the sort of info people would like to see on the web?? It will be very time consuming so any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome???

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri May 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Free From Food

Hi

I am sure the ceoliac society produce a book of products across all the supermarkets. Have you contacted them?
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

reynia

by reynia on Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 pm

The Coeliac society does produce a list but it is designed for Coeliacs so won't cater directly for wheat allergies, dairy allergies etc. The list is definately a good starting point but doesn't really offer a solution to those of us looking for a good range of food without spending hours looking at lables.

Also the list does not include all items that are sold in a supermarket, as with the lists provided by the supermarkets the majority of items are supermarket own brand. Also the list doesn't tell you where they are available, have links to the items in each supermarket and doesn't allow you to filter by an allergen!!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun May 17, 2009 12:23 am

Good luck. I think you are taking on a massive task. I think I would find a massive data base a great idea but find reality of it working debatable in stores as every branch differs. I am currently trying to get hold of the new PURE products out. They are launch in all Tescos and some lines in Asda. That is what PURE say on the phone, the products are not even mentioned on their web site, but I still cannot get them!!! Then Alpro do a strawberry milk which my daughter was weaned onto from breast milk. ALL supermarkets have stopped stocking it. I am currently having to buy it via home deliveries from Ocado which is nuts just to have a delivery for milk. Again all stores except Asda are said to stock it. I find it is really a case of getting to know your store and sticking to it. A good basic understanding of food helps a great deal and we HAVE TO ALLOW TIME TO READ LABELS there is no other way. Good luck and keep us posted how you get on I don't know where you would pull all your information from.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

janet james

by janet james on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:06 pm

I recently found out that I am gluten intollerent. I havnt been getting on with gluten free products, especially the bread and pasta. Can anyone recommend a good quality free from pasta and bread range.

Thanks

Cara Voller

by Cara Voller on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:02 am

My dad has coeliac disease and it took a long time for him to get used to the gluten free products. The bread he now uses most is genius or warburtons gluten free. If you can find a good recipe you can make some great bread but this is trial and error.

My dad says a lot of it is adjusting your taste to the gluten free food as although they are substitutes they never taste the same. He is currently loving the gluten free mince pies from Asda though and says he enjoys them as much as the normal ones!

Hope this helps.

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi
My daughter has wheat allergys so we have to use Gluten free foods. My daughter is very fussy and doesn't like the GF breads on the super market shelfs.

If you are a Coeliac you can get some bits on prescription. You have a wider range on Prescription just go on the Coeliac society website and look at the prescription list it also has all the pip for your GP

My daughter likes the Livwell and Savill which you can also buy in Waitrose or Ocados. As my daughter also has a Soya Allergy there is lots we can't use so if there is any allergys to dairy, soya etc check the manufactures links on the website.

I hope this helps
Fiona x

Kate99

by Kate99 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know where i can get gluten free wraps, tortillas or flat breads from?

Thanks

Polly_P

by Polly_P on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm

I would love to know too. I heard that Discovery do gluten free wraps but i looked in the supermarket and on their website and cannot find anything.

9 posts