Raw Fruit???

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
AliT

by AliT on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 am

Raw Fruit???

Can anyone tell me why I react badly to raw fruit (apples, pears, apricots, peaches, cherries, plums) but can eat all these fruits cooked, I can even eat most tinned fruit? If I eat them raw it gives me a very uncomfortable 'fluffy throat'!
Alex
(I can eat grapes, bananas and oranges without a problem?)

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Raw Fruit???

Dear AliT,

You have a classic example of oral allergy syndrome (OAS) to birch tree pollen cross-reactive fruits (stoned fruits and apples).

The allergy antibodies in your blood which respond to birch pollen are cross-reacting with proteins in these raw fruits. Thank-fully these proteins are broken down if the fruit is heated or processed which is why you can tolerate these kinds of fruits when processed. Usually OAS causes only mild symptoms in the mouth and throat; such as an itchy scratchy feeling but doe snot lead to more serious reactions.

The symptoms may be worse in the spring time when birch pollen levels are high. you may or may not suffer from hay-fever in the spring but will have positive allergy tests to birch pollen.

Unfortunately there is no treatment for this except for antihistamines you could take if you experience this acutely. There is little evidence that desentisation to birch pollen helps with OAS.

Best wishes,

Dr Helen Brough
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

gemnick2530

by gemnick2530 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Alex, I have exactly the same allergy as this and the bottom line is...don't eat these fruits raw. I love all fruit and find it very frustrating that I cannot eat these as also trying to loose weight and not being able to snack on fruit does not help. However, it beats the horrible sensation I get at the back of my throat when I do eat them. If you find anything that helps, please let me know x

Kate99

by Kate99 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Luckily i dont get that but whenever i eat tomatoes, bananas, oranges or kiwis i get loads of ulcers in my mouth. I used to think it was acidic fruits until it started with bananas too but they aren't acidic are they?

bertyolmer

by bertyolmer on Mon May 11, 2015 10:22 am

Had to handle with almost the same symptoms and I got the diagnosis histamine intolerance. Now I'm using Daosin, a dietary supplement which controls my histamine level and avoids the allergic reaction. If you want more information about it, just send me a message and I'll talk with you about the details :)
When I ate tomatos half an hour I got strong headache and I started to avoid meals with tomatos. :)

Best of Luck

5 posts