Pointers on Approaching Schools for Peanut Free Envrionment

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
sherry

by sherry on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:52 am

Pointers on Approaching Schools for Peanut Free Envrionment

Living in a small town of 800 people or so there has been no previous issues with peanut/treenut allergies in the local school. My son will be attending there next year and i have been asked to come forward to the school counsel to bring awarness and request that the school go peanut free. I am looking for pointers from anyone who might have done this sort of thing before.

Thanks

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Pointers on approaching schools for peanut free envrionment

This is massive for you. I hope you find a good possitive approach from the school, I'd think you'd need medical support. My daughters pre school struggle at times with her dairy allergy. If there is food out that she cannot have they sit her at a seperate table, but they offer all the kids milk or water to drink, so milk is on her tabel every snack time. They have had 2 near misses where she's been given the wrong thing but stopped her before shes eaten anything. Good luck and keep in touch my2 children are nut free at the moment. My 5year old is being tested in January.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Pointers on approaching schools for peanut free envrionment

Sherry - you should contact Action Against Allergy - a charity who may be able to help you. Also, Foods Matters is another resource. Also take a look at our 'Links' section as there may also be organisations there you could contact. Also, your school will need to be trained to use an Ana-pen or Epi-pen if your son has one. We have one for Alice so that's how I know. I hope this helps.
Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

3 posts