Unwelcome sleep following small real ale intake

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Nigel77.

by Nigel77. on Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:48 pm

Unwelcome sleep following small real ale intake

Hello
I have experienced several 'food comas' over the past few years. Whereby I could not stay awake, as this was in social setting I felt I was rather rude as I was unable to keep my eyes open.

I had put this down to eating took much which was possible on these occasions.

However I have started to drink real ale again and the same thing happens. I can't stay awake.

I would really like to understand this. Both ales, Doom Bar and Abbot Ale contain malted barley. I have no symptoms of allergy that I am aware of but I have ongoing symptoms of IBS but not full blown diarreah. I usually drink lager but now with the ale I can not stay awake.

What am I experiencing am I allergic to malted barley or is there alternative answer?

Thanks in advance

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:02 am

Re: Unwelcome sleep following small real ale intake

Food comas are becoming a more and more recognised 'condition'. It's certainly worth noting down everytime you have one and what you have eaten... so you can start hopefully recognising a pattern. Food often takes a couple of hours to digest - so what you originally thought might have caused it might in fact be something that you ate previously.

We have a nutritional forum -that we suggest you post in to - to ask our consultant dietician Sophie Medlin her thoughts on this - viewforum.php?f=1351.

Hope this helps.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:23 pm

You're going to have to reduce your intake of real ale and other drinks that you're suffering food comas from. I know that advice it totally obvious, but if you're falling unconscious every time you drink something, you have to accept you're not going to be able to drink that drink. It'll save you embarrassment if you just stick with other alcoholic beverages. If the people you're with don't like this, then are they really your friends? That does sound high school type drama, but your body obviously does not like certain types of alcohol.

Cate Alexandra

by Cate Alexandra on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 am

Check out Barnivore. Sounds like a gluten or lactose Intolerance or wheat allergy and this site will help you cross reference what you have drank in the past which has given you the same response it'll also help you avoid things in the future.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:41 am

That's because alcohol depresses the central nervous system. It has a sedative effect that helps you relax and makes you drowsy, so you fall asleep faster. Researchers have found that the sedative effect only lasts for the first part of the night, though.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:20 pm

advhccenter wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:41 am
I second this post.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:12 am

In any case, liquor desires, rest issues and other minor secondary effects might go on for quite a while after detox. Liquor Withdrawal Stages

7 posts