First Post & Cooking/Recipe

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
allergy_guy_101

by allergy_guy_101 on Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:52 am

First Post & Cooking/Recipe

Hi all. First post.

So like most of you here, I have severe allergies to both seasonal (Ragweed) and to many, MANY food items.

I was tested for Allergies in 2009 and discovered what I was allergic then. My new family doctor I got in 2022c suggested I get tested again in since I keep reacting almost everyday and it's been over 10 years since my last allergy testing and our bodies change every ten years. Earlier last week I got tested from a really good allergist and he found that I am allergic to even more food items now, to almost everything. It's quite depressing :(

Anyway...the reason I created this post is I was wondering if anyone knows of a good cookbook and/or a place to get recipes for people with allergies. In 2009 I bought an allergy cookbook, however the author should be ashamed! It was FILLED with recipes with nuts, even peanuts, which, I'm sorry to say, but when most people think of allergies, usually peanuts is what first comes to mind. The utter stupidity of the editors not realizing this is really quite shameful.

I am in the process of creating new recipes so I can actually eat something but here lies the problem. In the past I would slightly alter a recipe based on my allergies but now, with being allergic to so many more food item, it makes cooking a real challenge. My goal is to create a recipe book for personal use so when I feel hungry I can look at what to make until I have got my new recipes down pact and can start living life again.

I won't list all my food allergies, I'm sure nobody wants to know, plus it's too depressing, but I will only include a few that relate to staple items to enhance flavor.

Before I do, I know I'm making it hard on myself, my allergist provided me a list of severe items, and a list of moderate items I'm allergic to. These past 5 days (from today) cutting everything out, even the foods I am only moderately allergic to, my body feels so much better and I'm having to take Benadryl very little. I still react from touching certain doors, on public transit, handshakes at work which I do for business sake, etc...

My main food items I am allergic, to related to cooking, is Nuts, Eggs, Dairy (Butter, Cheese), Garlic, Tomato's, Onions, and Wheat Flour.

I am allergic to so much more, but those are the basics and almost every recipe calls for at least one or more of the above mentioned ingredient.

I am thankfully not allergic to fish, so I have been eating fish and homemade vegetable soups these past few days. I even bought a food steamer a few days ago and I haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

I apologize for my long post and rant but if you had the massive list of food allergies I do, you'd understand why I am reaching out.

If need be, I can list all of my food allergies but I do not want to overwhelm others.

Thank you for listening. :)