allergies

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
kakuru hassan

by kakuru hassan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:58 pm

allergies

My kid is 1year and 2 month she has allergy in the nose she cries at night what medicine can we use.thanks

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Re: allergies

Hello and thank you for your question.

I appreciate how worrying and frustrating it must be for you as a parent to cope with your child's allergy. I hope I am able to help you.

Allergy is a very common diagnosis in children and it is estimated that 50% of children suffer from some sort of allergic response to allergens. Allergens are tiny proteins that cause some individuals to produce an allergic response when they come into contact with them. These include certain foods, dust, pet dander or pollen. I am wondering if you have had your child's allergy diagnosed by a doctor? In the first instance I would always recommend having a GP confirm that your child is suffering from a nasal allergy.

Some of the symptoms of nasal allergies in children include:

Runny nose and frequent sneezing
Congestion including breathing through the mouth whilst asleep
Frequent sneezing
Exhaustion, because of poor sleep quality

Symptoms that last longer than a couple of weeks are more likely to be an allergy rather than a common cold, however without knowing your child's complete symptoms it is hard to recommend specific treatments. I would recommend a visit to your local pharmacy or GP where they will be able to guide you to suitable treatment options.

There are also things you can do at home to reduce nasal irritation such as removing stuffed toys which can house dust mites and using dust mite proof bed or crib mattress covers. Cleaning with a wet or damp cloth can also help trap allergens such as dust and pollen, rather than spreading them about the house when using a dry duster.

The key to avoiding the allergic reaction is to find what is setting off the symptoms. This is also known as a trigger factor. This can be really tricky however it is the best way to resolve the issue. Once the trigger is known, you will be able to avoid or reduce exposure to it, hopefully minimising symptoms.

I am sorry this isn't a definitive answer, however I am positive that if you visit your GP or local Pharmacist they will be able to help.

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

ashleyjackson

by ashleyjackson on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Re: allergies

Hi Justin,
Great and well-written information. I think this information is useful for all parents.
If your child has major allergy issue, you should visit to doctor.
Thanks!!

3 posts