Lower right sided pain

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Lower right sided pain

Hi,
I have had lower right sided pain for two years now.It is worse from about half way through the month,I'm guessing at ovulation where I often get a feeling that a cyst is going to burst and will then experience a sudden sharp pain as though one does.The pain continues there until my period where it worsens again.I have 2-3 days fairly free of it until it slowly begins to ramp up again.I have had scans(showed follicular cysts with free pelvic fluid on one occasion),hysteroscopy,laparoscopy( showed adhesions on left side which were divided).I always experience pain in the region of my right ovary,virtually never feeling anything on the left side.Is this the only side that is working?.Have no answers and can't kick the pain.Thanks for your help,J

Professor Sean Kehoe

by Professor Sean Kehoe on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Re: Lower right sided pain

Its sounds like ovulation pains alriht. The ovary on the right does tend to cause more pains than that on the left, a theory that the lie of the bowel in the left keeps the ovary away from that nerve. It does not mean that you are not ovulating on the left side, though in reality that does not matter anyway. One ovary ovulating is sufficient as there are thousands of eggs in each overy - more than needed in a lifetime
If you are troubled by this - then using the pill to prevent ovulation is one form of treatment
Professor Sean Kehoe
MA MD DCH FRCOG

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Lower right sided pain

Thanks for your reply.The thing that confuses me though is that I thought ovulation pain only lasted for a day or two around ovulation whereas I have some degree of pain for about 25 days a month,worse in tha last half of the cycle.To me I do feel like a cyst is about to burst and then it can with a sharp pain but this can happen two and even three times in a month.I did try the pill once though was not keen to do so.It made things worse and with lots of horrible side effects to boot so it is not an option.The other thing is that this pain only started in the the last 2-3 years,been having periods for 24 years without it!.

3 posts