Pelvic floor after childbirth

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
MrsG1985

by MrsG1985 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Pelvic floor after childbirth

I am 27 and gave birth to my second baby 10 weeks ago in an unassisted vaginal birth. There was "light grazing" and a tear that was small enough to leave without stitches. My first child was born 2years 4months ago by forceps. Unlike the first time around, my husband and I have restarted our sex life fairly quickly and regularly, and I'm pleased to report that for now the previous problems I had with vaginismus (from age 20 onwards) have disappeared (as my GP predicted)

However, I have noticed that my pelvic floor seems to be very lose, in particular the entrance to my vagina very open and for the first time I can see the entrance to my uretha. My clitoris (and hood) and inner labia are very swollen too.

Since I didn't have any stitches, no health professional has looked at my genitals since I delivered my placenta, so I'm unsure if I've been healing correctly (no pain or discomfort so I assume it's ok), and I've been too embarassed to ask what is normal. I don't really remember from the first time round!

My question is what is the timescale for things to go back to normal down below? I accept that it will be a bit different from before I had children, but surely my vagina and uretha should close at some point down the road? I've been doing pelvic floor exercises several times a day but they don't seem to be helping.

Professor Sean Kehoe

by Professor Sean Kehoe on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Pelvic floor after childbirth

Most would say it takes about 3 months at least before you are back to normal - but this sounds a bit like a normal situation after having a birth
Stick with the exercises and if worried you Doctor can look and examine you if you are still concerned
Professor Sean Kehoe
MA MD DCH FRCOG

2 posts