Changes in cycle, severe pain and protruding left side

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Catherine4

by Catherine4 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Changes in cycle, severe pain and protruding left side

I had a normal period from 12th -18th January with the usual slight period cramps and heavy breasts. After the period had finished, all resumed to 'normal' for me. Over 26th and 27th January I noticed that my breasts were becoming very heavy, full and sore, a bit like I was starting a period again but more so than usual. They continued to be like this for the next couple of weeks.

On the 6th and 7th February, I had severe lower abdominal cramps and spotting. This stopped on 8th yet my breasts remained larger and sore. Due to feeling generally 'off', more tired than usual, feeling sick, frequent urination and constipation - I decided to do a pregnancy test which was negative. My breasts did not reduce in size after this.

Since the above date in February, I have done several tests, all which have been negative.

On 21st February, I had an appointment at my doctors which was scheduled in prior to all this starting (for an unrelated long standing back problem) and mentioned the above to him. He advised to 'wait it out' as I could be pregnant yet not producing enough of the HCG hormone to show in a urine pregnancy test and to wait another week and re-test.

Following the appointment, I did a couple more urine tests and the doctor also did another one on a return appointment on 28th February, all of which were negative. He just said that my hormones were playing up and I would probably have another period. I asked if a blood test could be useful to which he replied 'there was no point'.

On 3rd March, I started to experience period like cramps which continued until I started to bleed very lightly on 6th March, slightly different to my usual period. The lower abdominal cramps and back pain became very bad and I was taking pain relief every few hours (and I have quite a high pain threshold!). In the early hours of 7th March, I ended up at the emergency doctors as I woke in extreme pain and was doubled over when standing. He said to request a blood test with my doctor. Over Thursday 7th and Friday 8th the pain was still very bad and now my left side/middle (around and below my belly button) is very rounded. Furthermore when I lean back, an obvious 'lump' is protruding out. It isn't sore to touch yet a concern as I'm not sure if it is a pregnancy, a cyst, hernia or what! I usually have quite a flat stomach and it is very unusual. It is also proving more comfortable to sleep on the left side rather than the right. I have been taking photos to show my doctor as I do not feel that I am being taken seriously.

As of 8th March, my bleeding has stopped and I am now having no pains but I am almost dreading my next 'period' as my menstrual cycle for the past 16 years has been regular with slight cramping, yet nothing to the extent of what I have experienced the past two months. My breast have reduced slightly now yet are still larger and heavier than normal for me.

I will continue to request a blood test with my doctor and whilst I am trying not to worry, I want to know what's going on!

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Changes in cycle, severe pain and protruding left side

A pregnancy test will show positive at a very low level of pregnancy hormone hormone.
A swelling on the left that is intermittent is probably your bowel, which can play up during your periods.
Your cycle seems regular, and i assume you haven't come off or are on any hormonal contraception in the last few months.
I don't think a blood test will help but perhaps a pelvic ultrasound would.
With regard to your breasts, the swelling is on both sides so cancer or other serious problems are unlikely.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Catherine4

by Catherine4 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Re: Changes in cycle, severe pain and protruding left side

Hi.
Many thanks for the reply.

The swelling and rounded feel is still there and my period has finished. I appreciate that hormonal changes can affect breast size but everything has come all at once! What hormonal changes would cause an increase in breast size??

I am not on any contraceptive pill due to a family history of thrombosis so there are no possible hormonal changes from that.

The problem I have is the sheer pain I was in with my last two cycles. I am 29 years old and have never experienced that amount of pain or the more rounded look and feel in my lower abdomen. What could cause a sudden onset and drastic change in a menstrual cycle after 16 years??

I have mild IBS but this has never impacted on my periods and I have never had issues more prominently on one side. The change in my side is not proving to be intermittent so will just keep monitoring it as it does not look or feel right and I know my body very well!

Thanks.

3 posts