Always constipated and period irregular.

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
beckbeck

by beckbeck on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Always constipated and period irregular.

After years being told that I've got Ibs and battle with many laxatives over the years. Recently my symptoms are getting worst with irregular and heavy periods. And I need help. Because I am confused and scared. This morning my GP has prescribed tranexamic acid and mefenamic acid tablets. Plus transferring me for a ultrasound scan. It's been a horrid weekend with heavy bleeding and it's only been 2 weeks since my last period. My symptom have recently been like this. The last day of my last period was the 21st February 2013. In between periods I am always constipated, with a lower left hand side pelvic pain which feels like I've been punch with a constant throbbing. I am tried all the time, dry itchy skin, weight loss but I this due to laxatives. Plus spotting in between periods with dark blackish blood. But the spotting has turned into bleeding over the weekend just gone. Started Friday with thick black blood, with horrid stomach cramps,throbbing legs and bum by Friday night I was rolling around the bed with the pain. By Saturday morning it had turned into a heavy period and I was shattered. Came Sunday the bleeding had stopped. But I have still got pain in the left hand side pelvic area. Is my gp doing thing sending me for a ultrasound scan and tablets? Please help.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Re: Always constipated and period irregular.

Yes you need the pelvic ultrasound to start off, and then perhaps a referral with a view to laparoscopy. Periods are only considered irregular if out by a weeks rather than days. The left side of your abdomen contains the large bowel and a lot of your pain could be from this, but not all. I would also get your hormone levels including thyroid hormones checked.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

beckbeck

by beckbeck on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Always constipated and period irregular.

Thank you for replying. I did have a blood test yesterday could that be checking hormones levels? I am booked in for swabs and smear this afternoon. Slightly worry that I am still in pain after bleeding. I have stopped taking Macrogol on Saturday. Because that sometimes cause stomach cramps. And I thought it could linked with my pain but I've been on that for over a year and the pain is different.

3 posts