painful periods, uterus and constipation

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
hope2012

by hope2012 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 pm

painful periods, uterus and constipation

I read the post from the lady who has constipation and painful periods. I started bleeding mid-cycle, two weeks early. I do not think it is a period. Just preceeding the blood, I had a twisting pain on my lower right side (believe it was my ovary), and lots of sharp shooting pains all over my uterus. The blood was (as hers) very dark initially, then normal. I wonder if I have cysts, as the next day the dark blood started, therefore I thought there may be a connection. Please advise would cysts produce this effect. If not cysts what else would cause these strange twisting and stabbing pains.
I am being sent for a ultrasound scan, however, I have had problems with pain in my uterus before and the scan showed nothing. It may not reveal anything, so any advise would be good.
I always have very bad constipation, but recently started passing very dark (almost black stools). Then stools which were half and half, half very dark and half very light (yellowy brown). Often they have a strange metallic smell, when normal brown colour. The dark stool smells sort of musty. I am concerned that the dark stool is blood. A close relative died of bowel cancer which may be hereditary, which worries me.
I also have problems with eating, after eating I have pain above my belly button. I have not been diagnosed with IBS, Chrohns, Colitis etc. I am always passing urine, then about ten minutes later want to go again. I do not have a urine infection (tested). I have a painful bladder, and pain in my lower middle back from my kidneys, going round to the sides of my ribs. Urine being tested for kidney problems. I do not know what this test is actually for, or how it reveals any kidney problem.
When I woke up this morning, I had pain going from my lower right abdomen, up my side to the bottom of my right rib. Please advise what you think is causing this. I have a lot of things going on and I am worried. Thanks

Dr Amanda Tristram

by Dr Amanda Tristram on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: painful periods, uterus and constipation

It's not really possible to give you an individual diagnosis without a full consultation. This is obviously worrying for you and the best thing would be for you to go back and see your GP.
Dr Amanda Tristram
Senior Lecturer in Gynaecological Oncology

2 posts