Menopause - is this normal?

If you have questions about any aspects of menopause, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
starredgirl

by starredgirl on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Menopause - is this normal?

I'm 47, and over the past year or so I've been experiencing extremely heavy periods every few months. My periods are a bit irregular (my cycles are spanning 28 - 48 days on average), with some months being just a "normal heavy" period, but every couple of months, I have tremendously heavy periods with large clots and soaking of a heavy plus tampon every hour. The heavy flow usually lasts 4 days, flanked with a day or two on each side of a normal flow. When these extremely heavy periods hit, I'm afraid to leave the house and at work I don't schedule (or cancel) meetings that would fall during then, as I'm running to the toilet every hour to change the tampon.

Until this started to happen, my periods were never heavy enough to require a tampon. I'd rarely suffered from cramps, but with these heavy periods, I do have some cramps, but more vague than intense.

I am usually able to slow the flow ever so slightly by taking 800mg of ibuprofen when the period first starts, and 400mg every 4 hours for a few days, with a 800mg dose each morning. Perhaps it is just the placebo effect, but it does seem to help slightly.

I don't have any other symptoms - no hot flashes, etc.

I've not been to see a doctor about this, as I'm also morbidly obese and my last doctor made me feel ashamed about myself.

Is this typical menopause period behaviour, or should I be concerned?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Re: Menopause - is this normal?

Hi - this may be a "peri-menopausal" phenomenon as periods often get worse at this age. However, this warrants a biopsy of the womb lining, which is a simple and safe procedure. This is for two reasons - it is recommended at your age for heavy periods and also your weight puts you at risk of an overgrowth of the cells in the womb lining. You will need referral to a hospital gynaecologist and don't worry we deal with women of all shapes and sizes!
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts