progesterone levels and PCOS

If you have questions about PCOS and associated conditions, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Sarahmckenna

by Sarahmckenna on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:48 pm

progesterone levels and PCOS

I have a long history of PCOS (cysts on scan and significantly elevated LH levels > 20.) However, now at the age of 42 years have been trying to conceive on Clomid and metformin for three cycles. I have regular blood tests which indicate that the metformin has reduced my LH levels to near normal and my FSH levels are 5.8. My menstrual cycles appear to be normal if a little long in duration; average 34 days. (In the past I menstruated three times yearly so this is an improvement). However, I have noticed that both in the follicular and luteal phases my progesterone level appear are < 5. Therefore,I am just wondering whether to supplement my progesterone levels during the second half of my cycle using a natural progesterone cream. After many years of being told that it would be easy to conceive with minimal treatment when I wanted to, I feel quite despondent that the Clomid and metformin combination is not working. I am of normal weight and do not smoke or drink excesssive alcohol. Hoping someone can offer me some advice as I just feel that I have left it all too late!

Dr Amanda Tristram

by Dr Amanda Tristram on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: progesterone levels and PCOS

Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise, but my understanding is that the progesterone levels are a reflection of what is going on in your body. Normal levels are a good sign that things are working, but I think that trying raising them using cream is unlikely to have any real benefit. Unfortunately the nature of "cycles" is that everything takes time. It's completely understandable that you feel that this time is slipping away, so I would suggest talking to the doctor who is treating you again, sooner rather than later.
Dr Amanda Tristram
Senior Lecturer in Gynaecological Oncology

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Agree with Amanda - perhaps at 42 now is the time to have a little more control over your cycle and fertility (and increase your chances) by having IVF instead.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Sarahmckenna

by Sarahmckenna on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you very much for your helpful replies. Fortunately, it now seems that I am ovulating as my progesterone level was 55nmol/L in the current luteal phase. I fee that I just want to try a little longer before I explore IVF. Thank you again.

4 posts