treatment

If you have questions about PCOS and associated conditions, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
deblah

by deblah on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm

treatment

Hi I was diagnosed with pcos after my doc sent me for an ultrasound 6 years ago, in the time since this was diagnosed I have had several blood tests which I was told had acceptable levels with exception of higher testosterone level, it was also shown at same time that I had clymidia but no treatment was given for this?
I am overweight which I know is one main thimgs need to address however i have not had any other tests and last year my doctor put me on the contraceptive pill for 6 months which I don't understand why as we are wanting to get pregnant not prevent even more. Also being on the pill made me gain more weight., I was told I would need referred but my doctor refuses as im not the right weight, I have only had maybe 10-12 periods in last 7 years and combined with the untreated sti am getting more and more discouraged by not knowing whst can do and desperatly wanting help.

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: treatment

I am unclear from what you say as to whether your testosterone levels were or were not raised. If you have very few periods and the free androgen ( that is the testosterone that is not bound to protein) was raised then this would confirm the diagnosis. The mainstay of treating this condition is lots of regular exercise and a low sugar diet so that your body is encouraged to burn fat. Being on the pill helps by blocking the effects of our testosterone and there is evidence that you are most likely to fall pregnant in the early months after this is stopped. If however this has been going on for a long time it would be worth talking to your doctor again.
The chlamydia issue is separate in that it is not linked to the PCO but should have been treated if positive to avoid complications. You could see your local GUM service about that without a referral.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

deblah

by deblah on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi thank you for reply. I was told my testosterone level was above normal levels but that was around 6 years ago. Even when I was put on the pill I barely had a period at end of each set, I have gone back to my own gp several times but he says unless I lose around 20% of my weight then is nothing he can do, I have been trying to get my weight down but it seems to of stuck at same for long time now. I just would like to know if there is any treatments or other things that I can ask my gp to try rather than just keep turning me away. It has been so long since original ultrasound when was told had pcos,

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:21 pm

I agree that weight loss and exercise are the key, and in particular the glycaemic index approach. You should be concerned about possible overgrowth of the womb lining with periods so infrequent and your weight adds to this risk. I would politely but firmly ask for a referall to a hospital gynaecologist with an interest in fertility and PCOS.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts