PCOS help

If you have questions about PCOS and associated conditions, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
lex69

by lex69 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm

PCOS help

Hi,
I was diagnosed with PCOS last June, i have carried out my own research and support into the condition as i felt i got little from my GP.

I came off the contraceptive pill 18 month prior to my diagnose due to having server migraines with aura. My gp now refuses to put me back on. What would be the best contraception for me ? i have very irregular periods - am currently on calendar day 56. When i do have periods i am heavy, diarrhoea and vomiting for the first few hours, intense stomach cramps and back aches. I want my period each month for general health reasons yet i dread them as i do not know they will arrive and the horrid effects that come with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Dr Amanda Tristram

by Dr Amanda Tristram on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: PCOS help

From what you say, it sounds like the GP is right to say you should avoid taking the combined oral contraceptive pill. There are many alternatives available and the best thing you could do is probably go to a family planning for some expert advice. The Family Planning Website has a "find a clinic" page, I've put the link below.
http://www.fpa.org.uk/helpandadvice/findaclinic
Dr Amanda Tristram
Senior Lecturer in Gynaecological Oncology

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: PCOS help

Could I also add to Amanda's good advice that your pain may not be due to your PCOS but perhaps endometriosis as well.
3-4 periods (or withdrawals bleeds if on the pill) a year should suffice to keep your womb lining healthy. Another option for you might be a mirena coil, or the mini pill such as cerazette.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

3 posts