Do I have vaginal thrush?

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
simba123

by simba123 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Do I have vaginal thrush?

I think I may have vaginal thrush but I'm not sure. It's a little red down there but also pinkish too. It's not sore or itchy near the vaginal opening. The only place it itches is on the top of the two vaginal flaps. My discharge does not smell and is a normal colour, it's consistency is normal I think. I have had thrush before but I had it for a while before I realised so I'm not that sure.

Professor Sean Kehoe

by Professor Sean Kehoe on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Do I have vaginal thrush?

This does not sound like a clear case of thrush and if the problem has been for a while may well be worth seeing your Doctor to have a swab and see if there is an other type of infection.
Professor Sean Kehoe
MA MD DCH FRCOG

Mr Peter Greenhouse

by Mr Peter Greenhouse on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 am

Re: Do I have vaginal thrush?

If you've got any amount of itching or irritation it may be the early signs of thrush (candida / fungal infection) developing, or it could be a skin allergy - to new soaps/showergels etc - or it might be due to simple friction trauma if you're sexually active.
If it doesn't get better by itself in a few days - you can leave it for a while without problems if the symptoms aren't severe - go to your local sexual health clinic http://www.bashh.org/clinics where they can do the swabs and on-site microscope testing to get an immediate answer.
If this is a recurrent problem, most women with repeated episodes of thrush get the symptoms in the week or so before menstruation. This is because the immune system is weaker at that time: it's the same reason women are more likely to get herpes & acne before menstruation.
Mr Peter Greenhouse
Consultant in Sexual Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nhouse.php

3 posts