Increased iron,diappearing period?

If you have questions relating to any aspects of menstruation, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Increased iron,diappearing period?

I had very low iron levels for years and they have improved significantly on a strong supplement.It was put down to my heavy periods.Since starting on this I have noticed that my periods have been getting lighter.This month I had very strong PMS type symptoms for about two days before my period-felt very anxious and uncomfortable,which I never normally have.I had much stronger cramps than normal and then only bled for half a day when my period normally lasts 3-4 days.What does this mean.I'm 36 and have fairly regular periods.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Increased iron,diappearing period?

I have heard a few women say this, that the Iron makes them bleed more or less, and it is hard to explain. I would get an ultrasound of your pelvis as this may discover a cause for your menorrhagia, and there are plenty of treatments available
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks for the reply.Have had scans but nothing showed on them.Had hyperplasia in the past but my last D and C showed normal tissue.Periods can be a bit of a surprise each month!..

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 am

If you had had hyperplasia in the past but the scans show that the structure of the womb is normal then one of the progesterone containing options are worth considering. If PMS is an issue for you then one that also provides cycle control may be a good idea. A mirena coil rarely suppresses the cycle but is very good at reducing bleeding. You can always use it in conjunction with another strategy for the PMS.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for your reply.The pill is not for me.My gynae put me on a progesterone tablet after my first D and C as a precaution.I had horrible side effects from it it within hours of taking it,basically like bad PMS which I had never experienced before.I came off it after a few months.I was told the hyperplasia was probably due to having been previously very overweight and my next D and C came back normal.My periods have actually gotten much lighter since my Iron deficiency has been corrected but almost to the extent that I am barely having periods. I had those PMS type symptoms again really strongly for about two days before the last period which only lasted half a day.After years of heavy periods I guess that is throwing me a little.

5 posts