One a day antihistamine

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
SamOxford

by SamOxford on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:19 pm

One a day antihistamine

I take cetirizine hydrochloride. One of the widely available one a day antihistamines. I am aware they last around 8 hours, and the instructions are clear that you should take one a day, and not to exceed this dose. My question is, what does it mean by one a day. Is this no more than one in 24 hours, or is 1 every 12 hours OK? It would be really helpful to take one in the morning, and one just before bed when my symptoms are at there worst. I find my symptoms pretty dibilatating first thing in the morning (itchy eyes, itchy nose, pressure in sinueses, loss of voice and feeling tired and sluggish).

In additing to the antihistamine, I take Flixonase, which is a nasal steroid spray, and occasionally use Sterimar for nasal douching (for occasional post nasal drip).

Thanks,

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Re: One a day antihistamine

We currently have an online clinic on hay fever and environmental allergies running. If you post your question in there one of the experts will be able to answer it for you http://talkhealthpartnership.com/forum/ ... .php?f=210

Thanks
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Mulcathery

by Mulcathery on Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 pm

I had this same problem of the effects wearing off towards the end of the day. Combined with the dirt and probably pollen accumulated during the day this meant I became quite uncomfortable in the evenings.

I tried two solutions:
1. Buying chlorpheniramine maleate (piriton) instead of cetirizine - the over the counter tablets (I used Boots own brand) were to be taken up to 4 time per day. I find that one in the morning and another if symptoms reappear in the evening is fine, and still not the maximum dose allowed.
2. After some stronger symptoms including a face rash a couple of summers ago I changed ton a prescribed antihistamine - Fexofenadine. I gather it's a bit stronger and the effects accumulate. It seems to mostly get right through the day, though if I am exposed to more allergens than usual I still get symptoms.

Good luck!

Michaelfern

by Michaelfern on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 am

Apart from taking certain that are there, some foods serve the purpose of natural remedy for this condition.
These foods stop histamine activity which hinders any sort of allergic reaction which can lead to histamine production.

Many of the foods that are considered to be anthistamine include apples, onions, broccoli, fish and more.

You can read the entire article which descriptively explains the same: http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/top-2 ... tion-28555

michael spencer

by michael spencer on Fri May 25, 2018 10:35 am

When I researched natural remedies to hay fever, the most interesting remedy that I found was using a mushroom called Reishi. Basically, the mushroom has been used for hundreds of years in the Far East as a natural non drowsy medicine but isn't so well known in the west. Tihs may be because of the strict rules about making medicinal claims in Europe. There are a few companies in Europe that sell the products, though I would steer well away from Ebay/ Amazon. There is such ferocious competition when you have virtually identical products side-by-side that its inevitable that the expensive component (i.e. the mushroom) is diluted.
Last edited by talkhealth on Sun May 27, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No commerical links allowed thank you

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:06 am

Allergy meds are a class of medications normally used to treat side effects of sensitivities. These medications assist with treating conditions brought about by a lot of receptor, a synthetic made by your body's safe framework. Allergy medicines are generally normally utilized by individuals who have unfavorably susceptible responses to dust and different allergens

6 posts