Chronic Rhinitis

Moderator: talkhealth

25 posts
Cassie04

by Cassie04 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Chronic Rhinitis

My son suffers from severe rhinitis . He has had this since he was a young child and he is now 23 yrs . It is interfering with his day to day living and is very stressful , embaressing and debilitating .
He has tried every antihistamine on the market but nothing works . At this stage I think he should have another allergy test done (he had one done as a child ) and I would be grateful if anyone could advise on this or knows any "CURE" or treatment that would give him relief.

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Chronic Rhinitis

Cassie - my daughter also has chronic allergic rhinitis. We use DermaTherapy bedding which helps, she has blinds, not curtains, and although we've been told to have no carpet, I do have carpet in the bedroom but it is a close tight weave and I vacuum regularly. You can't cure rhinitis but you can control it. Also, any child with this condition shouldn't go to bed with soft toys, unless they've been in the freezer and freezing kills the dust mites that contribute to allergic rhinitis. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Deborah Mason
TalkHealth Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

nowheatpete

by nowheatpete on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm

I find that vacuuming really aggrevates my rhinitis (because I don't have one with a good filter), so when I vacuum I make sure the house is well ventilated, and I should wear a mask really, then I mop the floor the next day after any dust has settled (I have wood floors). I then change all of my sheets and that after I have vacuumed because of the dust that has been distributed over them.

tsmith588

by tsmith588 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Here is a great article on ways to help prepare for Rhinitis.

http://www.achooallergy.com/ragweed-season.asp

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 am

This is a great article. Thanks for making it available to everyone.

Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

Jane01

by Jane01 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:11 am

I'm finding that this winter is making my rhinitis much worse. Does anyone think it's the cold weather? Or is this coincidence? Nigh time is absolutely terrible for me. I'm so nasally that I can't help snoring which is driving my partner crazy. I've tried sleeping with the window slightly open, closed, a jug of water in the room, nasal sprays etc etc and I'm at my wits end. It's really affecting me as with the constant lack of sleep I'm grumpy and tired during the day.

Has anyone got any suggestions that have worked for them?

Thanks - all suggestions, however crazy, gratefully received :?

djdonso

by djdonso on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:32 am

Hi to all,
My son is 11 yrs old & has seasonal Rhinitis it's awful......
Anything can start it if it's too cold out too hot inside or out..Any type of smells..dust etc etc
I'm at my wit's end..
But the problem is it look's like hes got a rotten cold/flu he sneezes around 100 times in the day he's eye's go small & stream's, hes chest hurt's & he get's a headache & he won't eat he look's so washed out due to the sneezing.It really is controlling hes life & i'm helpless.
We went to the gp's this evening asking to be seen by ENT but the dr wants to try more different med's & sprays..
If these don't work they will send him to ENT.
He was taking piriton & calpol nasal saline spray & still is at the moment..
They now have given him cetrizine meds & 2 nasal sprays sodium cromogllcate & beclometasone nasal spray the one im quite concerned is beclometasone nasal spray which is 18 & over but being 11 yrs old im quite concerned i did ask the chemist but they said its ok but im not quite convinced ???
Does anyone know if this spray ok for children??
I would to ask others out there if there child has the same condition if so is there condition under control & what works for your child i'm so worried for him as it's getting to him & he does need help.Many Thanks xxx

williamsmummy

by williamsmummy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:04 pm

if you have tried, everyday antihistamine, nasel sprays, eye drops, allergy bedding, and all the physical things around the home to reduce symtoms it might be worth buying a air filter, which removes dustmite and pollen from the air in the bedroom.
this seems to have helped my son somewhat.

however, there are treatments available, but it depends on a bit of a postcode lottery, its called SILT, a immunotherapy treatment in tablet form. this is only for hay fever at the current time on the nhs. so it might be worth trying to get this, or see if you can pay for this privately.

as my son has many evnronmental allergies , i am wondering if this treatment would be a great benifit for him, so am hoping to ask a expert on this site one day!
Sarah Chapman
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Sally

by Sally on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:12 am

Hello - where would I find out more about SILT as it sounds really interesting - shame this wasn't mentioned when the hay fever expert forum was running as I'm sure the experts would have been able to tell us more about how this treatment works.

Sally

williamsmummy

by williamsmummy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:01 pm

you need to ask your gp, imunologist or local pead if they have funding for it in yr area.

lets hope the experts can help give us some more info one day.
Sarah Chapman
Alex Curtis Trust
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

25 posts